Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan: TESU vs DegreeForum :)
Hello everyone,
If I don’t plan on enrolling in any TESU classes until I complete a lot of courses via study/SL, etc. do you suggest applying to TESU now to see how they evaluate my past college credits and BA degree so I know what exactly I need (and from where) before I start my 2nd BA Accounting/CPA courses via study, SL, etc?

Some of you who have developed degree plans in the past on this forum are probably more knowledge than some of the workers there haha.

Just wanting to know your thoughts on what would be best and most accurate since i don’t believe they will evaluate transcripts without applying and/or enrolling, correct ?

THANK YOU ALL!!
It's up to you. If you enroll now, you pay the $75 and lock in the current catalog. If you wait, things may change, although it doesn't seem very likely for that degree.

I'm also not entirely certain if you will be required to have College Algebra and Statistics, since they're included in the degree but not in the Core or AOS. I'm guessing you need to add those, but it would be nice to know up front.

Since you know for certain the Core and AOS needs to be completed, you could easily get started on those and have a lot more credits to throw in for the initial eval.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • acamp
(03-08-2018, 03:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It's up to you.  If you enroll now, you pay the $75 and lock in the current catalog.  If you wait, things may change, although it doesn't seem very likely for that degree.

I'm also not entirely certain if you will be required to have College Algebra and Statistics, since they're included in the degree but not in the Core or AOS.  I'm guessing you need to add those, but it would be nice to know up front.

Since you know for certain the Core and AOS needs to be completed, you could easily get started on those and have a lot more credits to throw in for the initial eval.

Outside of the Core or AOS the TESU BSBA still requires College Algebra & Statistics.  The following is copied from the CPA path (https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/AccountingCPA.cfm), but the same requirements are listed on the standard BSBA Accounting.

"Required Courses in General Education section:  College Algebra or Quantitative Business Analysis (within Intellectual and Practical Skills section of General Education requirements); and Statistics (within Math section of General Education requirements)."

I personally think with you already having a BA degree from a college that is not from TESU it is more economical to apply, get evaluated and know for certain what they say your missing than to assume what credits will fall where on a 2nd bachelors.  Then if something seems applied oddly you'll be able to disagree and/or request changes soon rather than later. Also as dfrecore mentioned you lock in the catalog; so you won't have to shift gears if they change the program requirements.

Of course while you're waiting for the evaluation there are some courses you absolutely know up front that you need to take and can work on them now  (like those math and accounting courses, in example)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • acamp
I always recommend that people apply as soon as they are reasonably sure they want to pursue a degree at TESU...or if they need to see how their transfer units come in. There's really no downside to doing so. The worst that can happen is that you decide not to pursue the degree and are out the $75 application fee. If you apply, it locks in your catalog. You then have a year to take a course or TECEP to become enrolled and continue to keep the same catalog. For a second degree, you can probably plan to take your capstone well before that. In fact, with the Study.com discount changing at the end of June, you should really take it by the June term to save money.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
So if I enroll, and have an active study membership, do I still have to complete the capstone by the end of June?
(03-08-2018, 05:59 PM)acamp Wrote: So if I enroll, and have an active study membership, do I still have to complete the capstone by the end of June?

To get the discounted per-credit rate on the capstone itself, you have to sign up for the Capstone before the end of June. You don't have to have completed it by then. Drops it from $1,500 to $1,100 or so. If you've already applied and been accepted, signing up for this course will also automatically make you enrolled for the next year and lock in your course catalog as well.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-08-2018, 05:59 PM)acamp Wrote: So if I enroll, and have an active study membership, do I still have to complete the capstone by the end of June?

No, you could wait a year (or more). It is just that you may not get the current discounted price for the course. If you think you'll be done in six months it might be worth it; but you're not going to be required to take the capstone before the current study.com agreement ends. Don't let the larger expense of the capstone course give you pause on applying and having your credits properly evaluated. Applying and being evaluated, or even enrolled, at TESU does not mean you have to rush to get the capstone completed, you can - however, officially it is recommended by TESU as the last course in the program taken.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

If you want the current Study.com pricing, you need to take it in or before the June term not finish by then. You might be able to take it in the July term, but I'm not 100% confident of that. The June term will end in August.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks for all the replies. Even if I do apply and they evaluate my transcripts, they probably won’t tell me where to take the needed courses, right? Or will they say “okay you need an ethics class - you can take it at Saylor or SL” ?
(03-08-2018, 08:00 PM)acamp Wrote: Thanks for all the replies.   Even if I do apply and they evaluate my transcripts, they probably won’t tell me where to take the needed courses, right?  Or will they say “okay you need an ethics class - you can take it at Saylor or SL” ?

No, TESU will recommend their own courses. However, that is something you can easily figure out on your own, or ask for recommendations from folks here on this forum.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,057 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Have any DegreeForum alumni went on to teach in Japan? leland.kirk 9 3,293 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Last Post: zzzz24
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,724 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,272 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,246 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,734 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,778 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,396 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,646 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,367 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM