Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan Advice - Can I finish in a year? Without starving to death?
Hi Everyone,

I was going to pay Comprehensive Tuition Plan: take the 36 allotted SH via online instructor-led classes AND simultaneously try to test out of the remaining 39 SH via TECEP/CLEP/DSST/etc. When looking at the degree plans that some of you have submitted, it looks as if a "residency waiver" is the major of your cost (not including the proctored exams). Does this mean that its possible to fulfill the remaining 75 SH due without shelling out 8k plus the testing costs? I live in NJ.

Dear God I hope so.

I applied to TESU intending on the BSOL Program and am transferring the following credits: 33 from CC/45 total. Can anyone help me choose a program that I can complete in 12 months?

Course/Section and Title Credits - 45 SH applied to degree / 75 remaining
ENG-101 College Comp 3.00
ENG-112 Public Speaking 3.00
POL-201 US Government 3.00
ARC-106 Digital Imaging 3.00
ART-106 Drawing 3.00
PSY-101 Basic Psychology 3.00
BIO-111 Intro to Bio Sci 3.00
SOC-115 intro to Soc Sci 3.00
INT-115 Survey of World Civ 3.00
ARC-105 Intro to Comp Arts 3.00
ART-103 Two Dimensional Design 3.00
PSY-109 Dev. Psy 3.00
HUM-101 Cultures & Values 3.00
CSC-100 Intro to Computers & Computing 3.00
CSC-101 Computer Literacy 3.00

* I also have a CIS-101 but it is a duplicate course for CSC-101.

Really and Truly, Thanks in advance.
I think that doing 36 units at TESU in one year would be exhausting enough. I can't imagine doing 39 test out units simultaneously. If you decide to use the comprehensive tuition plan, I would clear all of the test out credits first, and be sure you can complete the rest in the year...but I think we can find you a better plan than that.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Taking 36cr of actual courses at TESU would be (to me) a very heavy workload. Not to mention expensive.

The BSOL is not really test-out-able, because I'm not 100% certain where you could get all of those courses needed for the degree. But you could get a BSBA in General Management or BSBA in HR for about $5000 - and pay $100-$200 at a time, taking as long as you want to (or going as quickly as you want).

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">MD_AJIBULU TESU 2016 BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 34.92 KB / Downloads: 2)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I don't see that working. You need some specific classes and they will include assignments that need grading, so you can't be certain of a timetable on anything that isn't a test out.

Notgodot (well versed already in lit) took 12 "classes" at shmoop (36cr) in about a month. I can't imagine what that work load was like but it's not something most would do Smile
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
AJ_Atlanta Wrote:I don't see that working. You need some specific classes and they will include assignments that need grading, so you can't be certain of a timetable on anything that isn't a test out.

Notgodot (well versed already in lit) took 12 "classes" at shmoop (36cr) in about a month. I can't imagine what that work load was like but it's not something most would do Smile

It was about as fun as it sounds Wink

Time and money are the two factors that will be different for everyone. General knowledge of a subject will also speed up or slow down progress. The particular quirks of the course provider make a huge difference - Saylor is a very different beast than Shmoop, for example - and you should understand those quirks so as not to waste time and energy. And maybe most importantly, you need to know exactly which courses you need and plan accordingly, which is why I love this forum so hard Big Grin Your plan may (will) change as you go, but having it keeps you from getting lost in the weeds and giving up.

I also can't imagine taking actual class loads and testing out of credits simultaneously. I'd have to break it up into two rounds,; nontraditional credits then university courses.

Hope something in there helped Smile
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Good point - my current progress is a bit scattered and I need to get realigned with a proper plan again. Started out thinking COSC but with no starting credits I am leaning more TESU; now a BALS or maybe Pysc (as it will soon be more possible again once study.com adds those classes).

Point is, you need a plan as to not be like me Wink
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
dfrecore Wrote:Taking 36cr of actual courses at TESU would be (to me) a very heavy workload. Not to mention expensive.

The BSOL is not really test-out-able, because I'm not 100% certain where you could get all of those courses needed for the degree. But you could get a BSBA in General Management or BSBA in HR for about $5000 - and pay $100-$200 at a time, taking as long as you want to (or going as quickly as you want).

Thank you all so much for responding (and the spreadsheet) - Yes, I've been described as "ambitious" on more than a few occasions Smile

Can someone explain what this fee is? I imagine it is not physical/geographical residency.
And (this might be answered by the previous) how are we determining the cost here? Am I able to take and transfer all the outstanding credits to TESU?

Pardon my ignorance, I promise I tried to figure this all out online before I asked here Smile
MD_AJIBULU Wrote:Thank you all so much for responding (and the spreadsheet) - Yes, I've been described as "ambitious" on more than a few occasions Smile

Can someone explain what this fee is? I imagine it is not physical/geographical residency.
And (this might be answered by the previous) how are we determining the cost here? Am I able to take and transfer all the outstanding credits to TESU?

Pardon my ignorance, I promise I tried to figure this all out online before I asked here Smile

It's residency as in paying a fee for not taking courses there. Most schools require a residency of 30cr or something like that. With TESU, you don't have a minimum number of credits to take there (except the capstone, which for BSBA's can even be tested out of for $114 at this point in time). So you are transferring in 117cr, and taking 3cr at the school in one way or another. If you wanted to pay for 16cr there, then you would have residency, and no longer have to pay the residency waiver.

EC and COSC do not have a residency waiver, but they require a capstone course, and with COSC, a cornerstone course. So, the fees are similar at all 3 schools when all is said and done.

My spreadsheet shows the BSBA and where you can get all of your credits for $100/course or less (Saylor will be less, taking ALEKS math courses is less, there are a few free courses as well, if you take more than 2 SL or Study.com courses in a month, the average cost goes down, etc.).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:It's residency as in paying a fee for not taking courses there. Most schools require a residency of 30cr or something like that. With TESU, you don't have a minimum number of credits to take there (except the capstone, which for BSBA's can even be tested out of for $114 at this point in time). So you are transferring in 117cr, and taking 3cr at the school in one way or another. If you wanted to pay for 16cr there, then you would have residency, and no longer have to pay the residency waiver.

EC and COSC do not have a residency waiver, but they require a capstone course, and with COSC, a cornerstone course. So, the fees are similar at all 3 schools when all is said and done.

My spreadsheet shows the BSBA and where you can get all of your credits for $100/course or less (Saylor will be less, taking ALEKS math courses is less, there are a few free courses as well, if you take more than 2 SL or Study.com courses in a month, the average cost goes down, etc.).

Dfrecore! This is fantastic! Thank you so much for this! Do you have a gofundme account I can send money and kind words too? lol

But seriously, thanks. I'm so ready to get started!
I could be wrong about this... but if you enroll in the comprehensive plan, 36 credits is your MAX and that INCLUDES testing out credits. I don't think you can take 36SH at TESU and also test out in the same 12 months. You should knock out those tests before enrolling. I will double check this... I could be full of BS

EDIT: Kinda wrong on this. From the site: The plan covers up to 36 credits of the University's Online courses, Guided Study courses, e-Pack courses, TECEP exams and portfolio assessment.

So if you want to enroll in 36 and also take TECEPS, I don't think you can. You should be able to get away with other tests.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,236 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,879 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,369 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,693 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,904 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,791 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,050 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,978 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,346 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,717 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero