Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Delayed Because of Clerical Error
About a month ago, I was going through my transcripts and realized I didn't have enough upper level CIS courses to meet the BSBA-CIS requirements at TESC even though my academic evaluation said I did. I emailed advising and was told everything was fine. Today I received my latest academic evaluation and just as I suspected, I am missing 3 upper level computer credits. This isn't a big deal since I am planning to add graded credits to my transcript, but I though I would mention it so others know it happens. The people who work at TESC are busy and things get overlooked.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the heads up.
Another TESC surprise came my son's way when he received the results of his graduation audit. His previous UL TE CC course, Opera Production II, had been degraded to LL so ostensibly he was going to be 1 course short for his BA Music. Fortunately, I had a copy of his eval from the Spring of 2013 that clearly showed that this course transcripted to UL at that time. The registrar accepted my appeal and informed me that as of July 1, 2013 TESC stopped TEing any CC courses to UL. This was always a strange but welcome anomaly to me. But the mix-up at grad time sure was a heart stopper. So, if any TESCers our there are counting on CC UL courses, beware. Check your evals. Make copies of them immediately to show that they are in your plan as UL.
Things are changing quickly at TESC everyone needs to keep track of changes in course requirements. The problems come in when advisers are not up to date.

I'm sorry about your mix up Upton but you have a good outlook on it so you will do fine.

Johnny also makes a good point with how fast things are changing we need to keep track and hard copies of our evaluations or things could be mixed up.

I know TESC has changed their policy on any CC being upper level credits, but I would like to see any 4 year college have a more intense 5 credit Organic Chem Lecture and lab course than I took at my local CC. Sometimes exceptions need to be made for every rule.

Also sometimes if you fight for a course and can prove it should be at a higher level TESC should keep an open mind. When I took the Excelsior Literacy Instruction in the Elementary school TESC gave me lower level credit, but once I sent them the exam description and scope they agreed to the upper level credit.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:When I took the Excelsior Literacy Instruction in the Elementary school TESC gave me lower level credit, but once I sent them the exam description and scope they agreed to the upper level credit.
I think that you were able to win your appeal because ECE is a senior institution and not a CC, agree?
Thanks for the encouraging words folks.

Unfortunately I had a feeling this might happen which is why I brought it to your attention that you needed 12 UL credits in area of study. Hoping you would either ask more questions or at the very least it would raise a red flag in the back of your mind if the situation was raised later. Advising makes mistakes that we have to swallow and continue on. This same scenario happened to me with my AAS ESST and I had to scramble last minute for additional new credit.

Reminder to all: It is our responsiblity to complete all requirements under the catalog which we are enrolled. What looks like a free pass will usually get kicked back during audit. These are lessons learned and we move forward.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
It was your post that caused me to question advising, but I think someone got in a hurry and just brushed me off. On my personal degree spreadsheet, I still had the requirement listed because I was leery. It is not life changing, I am currently employed so another semester isn't going to mess up my plans.

It is good others are aware this stuff happens though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,235 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,877 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,368 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,692 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,904 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,790 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,048 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,978 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,343 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,715 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero