Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DS Passed his first test!!!!!!
Hi all,

A brief background: I work from home and home-school my 15 year old at the same time. It's not a path I wanted to take initially, but in spite of a very high IQ, his ADHD has made my brilliant son fail out of almost every class in public middle and high school that he's taken. I pulled him out of high school last year to home-school and working sometimes even nights and weekends, I've managed to get him up to grade level and beyond...

He wanted to take substance abuse first, which made me a little nervous since it's UL credit. He's interested in pharmacy school eventually and this is the test that fits into his potential career path the most. He's studied for about a month and a half and this morning we went to the testing center and he passed with a 427!!!!!

This would be a victory for any 15 year old, but considering how much he has struggled in public school, it was a much needed boost to his self-esteem. I had fully prepared him in case he didn't pass, but luckily he passed with flying colors!!!! I am such a proud momma right now Smile
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Wow, that is great news!! Tell your son CONGRATS and that he should be really proud of himself !!! Great job!!! I wish I knew about these exams when I was 15 Wink Keep us posted!!
Great story. Thanks for sharing that!!!
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Wow, that's great! You should be proud.
BSIT- Excelsior 2010, MCSE (2003), CCNP, Project+
Congratulations to you BOTH!

You for sacrificing your time to work directly with your son and finding a way to help him realize he can accomplish what he needs to, just through learning a way to compensate for his learning issues and celebrate his strong points. He needs to study a little about other persons with the same challenges, most of whom excell in the areas they are most interested in. He has excellent company - celebrate that difference.

Your son for his accomplishments - he is the one who ultimately did the work and passed the test! Warning, this can be addictive. Smile

Don't forget to investigage what he needs to know as prerequisites for getting into the college he is interested in for pharmacology. Many of these items are available to test out of as AP exams, and yes he can do this and he can get a double wammy out of them as high school credits AND college credits.

The journey has just begun but this can be a way where your son may excell and achieve his dreams more quickly than through normal pathways.
P00057870 Wrote:Congratulations to you BOTH!

You for sacrificing your time to work directly with your son and finding a way to help him realize he can accomplish what he needs to, just through learning a way to compensate for his learning issues and celebrate his strong points. He needs to study a little about other persons with the same challenges, most of whom excell in the areas they are most interested in. He has excellent company - celebrate that difference.

Your son for his accomplishments - he is the one who ultimately did the work and passed the test! Warning, this can be addictive. Smile

Don't forget to investigage what he needs to know as prerequisites for getting into the college he is interested in for pharmacology. Many of these items are available to test out of as AP exams, and yes he can do this and he can get a double wammy out of them as high school credits AND college credits.

The journey has just begun but this can be a way where your son may excell and achieve his dreams more quickly than through normal pathways.

Thanks so much and to the others that have offered their thanks. He keeps looking at this and is really excited when people post Smile

We have found through trial and error that he has an easier time paying attention on the computer. So, if I sit there and try to teach him something, it doesn't work as well as ALEKS or IC. I will probably be signing him up for some SL classes as well.

I've put together a degree plan for him to get an AA in Arts at Tesc. We haven't enrolled yet because I want him to have most or all of the credits needed so that it will hopefully be easier for them to waive the age requirement for him. Unfortunately, pharmacy school is not something that can be tested out of, but if we get him an AA, then he's a lot closer to going to a B&M school where he can complete the pre-requisites needed that we can't do at home.

He's also going to do a pharmacy tech course, but he won't be eliglible to site for the state pharm tech test until he's 16. Once he does that, he can get a job in the pharmacy and decide whether it's really something he wants to do with his life. At the very worst, if he decides it's not for him, then we can do a BA or BS through one of the big 3 after he's gotten his AA and then he won't need to go to B&M school until grad school.

Yes.. this is addicting. I am an addict and he is so happy today! He says that he still feels like he's going to throw up lol. (the same way I felt after Humanities and College math)
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Congrats to both of you!!! My 17 has been studying for a few of the exams but hasn't taken the leap yet. I'm planning on getting him in to his first exam in the next month, but we have such a busy schedule it is hard to get to the test center so far away. This is so encouraging to young students. Thanks for posting and keep us posted on his progress.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Outstanding success story! Tell him he's got people cheering for him! :hurray:
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
That's wonderful! Congratulations on earning upper-level credits on your first test! Amazing! I'm so glad that you are finding ways to learn that are working so well for you. Keep up the great work! We'll be so happy to celebrate more of your successes with you and your proud mom.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Congratulations, that's fantastic! What a great success story! :hurray:
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 197 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 504 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,605 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 954 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Inside the Vast National Experiment in Test-Optional College Admissions LevelUP 2 867 04-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 791 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Kim did it after 4 tries! <baby bar passed> bjcheung77 8 1,255 12-15-2021, 11:00 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Med School Tutors now part of Blueprint Test Prep! bjcheung77 0 489 11-01-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Passed the CISSP Exam jamshid666 5 1,864 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Passed the CHFI Exam jamshid666 9 1,521 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jamshid666