Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cybersecurity
Hello, can anyone give me any thoughts of the Cybersecurity program. Is the program difficult because I'm not that savvy with computers. I'm also a first time student at TESU and I'm bringing in credits from prev. schools I attended over 20 years ago
Unfortunately, the TESU Cybersecurity degree isn't one that can be completed more than partially with alternate credits. That means we don't really have any information on the difficulty of the TESU classes.

I would strongly recommend changing either to a TESU BA Computer Science or, if you really want Cybersecurity, go with Purdue Global: https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...rsecurity/ Purdue Global is a lot of writing, some projects (AFAIK), but it will almost certainly be cheaper than a TESU Cybersecurity degree as long as it takes you 1-1.5 years to finish.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • KsT, Pikachu
(08-18-2022, 12:20 PM)blackenergy Wrote: Hello, can anyone give me any thoughts of the Cybersecurity program. Is the program difficult because I'm not that savvy with computers. I'm also a first time student at TESU and I'm bringing in credits from prev. schools I attended over 20 years ago

Maybe this is too personal a question, but is there a specific reason you're interested in a cybersecurity degree while you aren't savvy with computers?
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • jsd
I'm going to start with: people who aren't very computer-savvy should probably be considering a career and degree in something that they ARE savvy with. Or spend some time doing inexpensive things to become more savvy.

If you want a Cybersecurity degree anyway, I'd start at an inexpensive Community College or do some MOOC's instead of paying through the nose for a TESU degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Flelm, jch
(08-18-2022, 01:49 PM)Flelm Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 12:20 PM)blackenergy Wrote: Hello, can anyone give me any thoughts of the Cybersecurity program. Is the program difficult because I'm not that savvy with computers. I'm also a first time student at TESU and I'm bringing in credits from prev. schools I attended over 20 years ago

Maybe this is too personal a question, but is there a specific reason you're interested in a cybersecurity degree while you aren't savvy with computers?

Good question. There are some policy-oriented security jobs that are mostly non-technical, but people in these positions have a lot of experience and worked their way up to management. Otherwise, it's very difficult to get into cybersecurity without starting at the bottom in technical roles - help desk, system administration, etc.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
@blackenergy, I suggest 3 things for now, certs, degree, experience. You have 20 years of experience, what was that in? Computer Sales, Service? To get started in any field, you should look into requirements for which ever career, position or prospective job may require and work towards getting the minimum completed, and work on building on top of that.

You really need to provide more details as answers will vary greatly. Please fill us in on as much info as possible from the template and last post addendum on this post, the more info you provide, the better as we will see your scenario or situation better. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-18-2022, 02:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to start with: people who aren't very computer-savvy should probably be considering a career and degree in something that they ARE savvy with.  Or spend some time doing inexpensive things to become more savvy.

If you want a Cybersecurity degree anyway, I'd start at an inexpensive Community College or do some MOOC's instead of paying through the nose for a TESU degree.
I’m going to disagree with this. Many people go to school for things that they aren’t  “savvy with”  to begin with. That’s one of the reasons why you go to school, to get “savvy”. There are plenty of people with PHDs in computer science or any other field that knew very little if anything before college.
But CompSci/Cybersecurity programs don't and shouldn't teach one how to be "computer savvy." It'd be akin to saying you want a degree in mathematics but you've never learned arithmetic, and you're hoping to pick it up along the way at the college level.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I wouldn’t think that college teaches savviness in any degree field and I certainly didn’t say that it did. A person becomes savvy by learning and doing. That’s what college does. It forces (if you want to succeed) to learn and do. Over time a person becomes savvy if they stay interested. If by savvy the op means navigating their way around a computer , then hopefully They will figure it out if they are motivated/ interested enough. I certainly wouldn’t make it more intimidating or discouraging by recommending that someone not explore cybersecurity because of it.

Considering you're not already tech savvy you may want to consider looking at the TESU BSBA-CIS (if you discover you're even less tech inclined you could switch it to a BSBA-GM or other concentration); this would give you a good solid bachelor and a quality introduction to computer technologies. Once you have that good basic foundation you can expand into technology, including cybersecurity, beyond the bachelor through readily available and affordable certificate programs.   I recommend that you present your information as listed in this thread and we can better guide you - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 431 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Transferring OnlineDegree.com Cybersecurity Course? diamonds 6 943 12-02-2020, 12:29 AM
Last Post: diamonds
  TESU no longer accepting SDC Cybersecurity scout2family 29 4,912 02-22-2020, 12:37 AM
Last Post: inf