Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Transferring/Laundering Redux
There are some old posts on the subject title. I decided to share a little of what I learned as an update. Please add to the list for a new 2012 list. These schools offer DL.

Utah State University- Will accept any regionally accredited AA/AS (not AAS, sorry CCAF) in full. Will complete all Gen Ed credits. Will allow 2nd bachelor's (must complete courses in major/30 credit with USU). Economics AACSB accredited.

Indiana Institute of Technology (aka Indiana Tech). No credit transfer limit, but must complete 30 credit and upper credit residency. Will take any AA/AS in full. Will take CCAF. Note, this is not a state school, it's a private, non-profit school.

NW State Univ of Lousiana - Will take 60 non traditional credits (any combo of clep/dsst/indep stud with no more than 30 in one). Business, AACSB accredited.

Univ of Wyoming - No CLEP "limit", but very restrictive and application dependent on department. 24 Indep Stud credits, very low cost. Business, AACSB accredited.

Indiana State Univ - No CLEP limit, will take DSST from military (not specified in catalog, I'm waiting for a response from advisor), 30 residence credited. Business, AACSB accredited.

Old Dominion University - WIll take 60 non traditional credits (CLEP/AP/DSST). AACSB accredited.

Penn State World Campus - Will take 60 CLEP/DSST credits. Although school in part of Univ Park campus, Online Business program is not part of Smeal Bus school so onine business is NOT AACSB accredited.

CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Southern New Hampshire University (private non profit)- Regionally Accredited. No limit on CLEPS, up to 90 credits in transfer. Courses in major, save a few, have to be completed at university.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Whoa, hold on a second.

I am currently enrolled in Southern New Hampshire University, and live across the street from and used to attend Northwestern State University (NSULA), and it seems you have your facts mixed up for both schools. I'm not being mean or anything, I had the exact same thought with SNHU, that is the whole reason I enrolled.

Regarding SNHU: After finding nothing on the website or in the catalog that mentioned a Credit by Examination cap and seeing their generous transfer policy, I assumed there was no limit. I was assured by phone and e-mail that this was the case. Then, two weeks after my first term started they let me know that their limit is 15 hours. They let me know that my case has made them realize that they did not list the credit limit of 15 hours and they are in the process of rethinking that limit. I am currently writing an essay to possibly help show the effectiveness and usefulness of credit by examination. PM me if any has some resources I can look at or would care to help me out with that. Maybe we can get it changed.

Regarding NSU: NSU administers both CLEP and DSST (that's where I take my tests. No additional testing fees, FTW), but they only accept credit for CLEP. When they talk about only allowing 30 hours from each method of credit by examination, they are referring to CLEP, ACT, AP, and "challenging" a course (taking an in-house test). Here are some links where you can see which tests they give credit for and also the DSST school search where you can see that they only administer the tests, but don't accept credit for them: NSU | Registrar | Credit by Examination
Locate an Institution |*DSST | Get College Credit

I hope that helps, guys. And seriously, if someone knows of some scholarly essays or something similar I can use as sources for my essay, please pass them on. I'm coming up short in that department and I'm really hoping we can change SNHU's mind on this policy.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Good info on SNHU. As far as NSULA, I spoke to the military rep there and he stated that military members are entitled to use DSST to fulfill degree requirements. I lost the email, but he gave me specific examples on how some of the DSSTs transfer. Unless something changed recently, the policy was 60 credits non-traditional max, no more than 30 credits for each program type (CLEP, AP, etc). I'll email that department again and see if this still stands.

As far as SNHU, please keep us posted on any developments on their limit. Do you have any schools to add to the list by any chance?

PrLoko-isms

If that's true about NSU then that's pretty awesome. When I asked about them, in 2008 I believe, they said they administered them, but didn't give credit. Maybe they only give credit to military students. Considering what happened to me with SNHU I would definitely encourage you to get some definite confirmation on their policies. As far as SNHU, I'll definitely keep you guys posted. I wanted to post a draft of the essay to the forums and have you guys maybe give some input before I sent it to them. I should have that in a few days, hopefully. At the very least, maybe someone else on here can use it as a template if they run into those sorts of issues at another school. And I do have one school to add, at the moment.

McNeese State University-Allows 45 hours of CLEP: "A maximum of forty-five semester hours of non-traditional credit, such as extension credit, correspondence credit, military credit, advanced placement credit, credit by examination, and CLEP credit, may be used toward a bachelor’s degree; a maximum of twenty-four hours of non-traditional credit may be counted toward an associate degree." More info here: Academic Regulations - McNeese State University - Acalog ACMS
-Does not accept DSST (Just called to make sure).
-No stated cap on transfer credits, but I just talked to Registrar's Office and they said for Bachelor's you needed to complete 25% of the total number of credits and the last 30 credits at McNeese.
-They don't offer very many online programs: BAs in Family and Child Studies, Sociology, Criminal Justice, and Management. For Criminal Justice, you have to transfer in at least 45 or more credits. The others follow the regular rule of at least 18 credits or a transferable Associate's degree.
-Have to be 25 or over or demonstrate the fact that you have a family, work, and therefore can't attend classes. More info here: CALL Program Admission Requirements | McNeese State University
-The Management program is AACSB accredited. More info on their accredidation here: General Information - McNeese State University - Acalog ACMS

ETA: I just got off the phone with NSU Testing and the director said they did not accept DSST credit. Maybe it was a military only situation?
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Tedium Wrote:.......
I hope that helps, guys. And seriously, if someone knows of some scholarly essays or something similar I can use as sources for my essay, please pass them on. I'm coming up short in that department and I'm really hoping we can change SNHU's mind on this policy.

I found a 2005 research paper by CLEP called "An Investigation of Education Outcomes for Students Who Earn College Credit through the College-Level Examination Program" written by Nancy K. Scammacca and Barbara G. Dodd. I thought it was interesting and may help your endeavor. If you can not find it through google, let me know and I will send it to you.

I think what you are doing is worthwhile and I hope it works out well!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Tedium Wrote:I wanted to post a draft of the essay to the forums and have you guys maybe give some input before I sent it to them. I should have that in a few days, hopefully. At the very least, maybe someone else on here can use it as a template if they run into those sorts of issues at another school.

I would be happy to review anything you come up with. In my experience, industries like the college market often are compelled to make changes when others in their industry have already made the change. If you are aware of competitive institutions, particularly local and respected, that provide generous CLEP and/or DSST policies you should cite them and their policies in your essay. Good luck!

God bless,

Michael
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
From the CLEP website:

"Overall, CLEP students had more favorable academic outcomes than nonCLEP students.
Overall, after controlling for demographics and prior achievement, CLEP students:
graduated about 1 semester sooner
enrolled in approximately a half semester less
graduated with approximately 1.5 fewer credits
had GPAs approximately 0.15 points higher than nonCLEP students."

A Comparison of CLEP and nonCLEP Students with Respect to Time to Degree, Number of School Credits, GPA, and Number of Semesters

PrLoko-isms

Another school:

Upper Iowa University- Not a state school as the name would suggest (private NON profit). Will accept 90 credits in transfer (78 LL 12 UL) to include CLEP, DSST and PLA. Can learn via independent study.

PrLoko-isms

Any progress on the essay?
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970 freeloader 6 262 05-31-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,860 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 2,331 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 318 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 866 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 758 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 564 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 623 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 360 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 734 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain