Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Transfer?
How does transfer work? Does it work once you apply to the college, or once you get the credit do you immediately send it to the school?
Can you give us a little more info on what you are asking?

If it's something like a credit transfer from Study.com or Straighterline; you request it and tell them the school and it happens in their back-offices. But that really depends on the parties involved.

A traditional college to college transfer involves a transcript request (and usually a fee) from the originating school to the "new" where they undergo a evaluation process accepting or not accepting at their seemly random discretion
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
I'm just wondering if you have to be attending the college you are transferring the credits to. I don't really have a specific case.

My other question is: Do I have to transfer my credits immediately to the college I want to attend once I get them, or can I wait and hold on to my credits, and transfer them when I apply?
If you're not enrolled or in the process of applying and a college receives your transcript (ACE or traditional transcript), they'll have no idea what to do with them or why they're receiving them and likely won't hold on to them for long.

You don't need to send them immediately to the college. For ACE credit, you should get them on your ACE transcript fairly soon after completing the course. But you can bank them there while you build them up before you send them to your college, thereby saving money as you'll only be paying one ACE transcript fee.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Lazarus Wrote:I'm just wondering if you have to be attending the college you are transferring the credits to. I don't really have a specific case.

My other question is: Do I have to transfer my credits immediately to the college I want to attend once I get them, or can I wait and hold on to my credits, and transfer them when I apply?

As jsd said, you must at least apply to the school. Otherwise they wont know what to do with the transcripts they receive. Depending on the school even if your enrolled in a course they wont apply any credits unless you are enrolled in a degree program. I sent Oakton my HVCC transcript to see what they would do with it and they did nothing with it. I am an enrolled student paying for a class but they didn't add anything to my student account for credits.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Lazarus Wrote:How does transfer work? Does it work once you apply to the college, or once you get the credit do you immediately send it to the school?

Credits earned have no way of appearing anywhere until you send them there. So, if you took a class at your local community college, your records would stay there forever unless you sent a copy somewhere new. In almost every case, when you attend college, they'll want ALL of your credits earned from EVERY previous source.

When you apply to a college, you'll generally fill out an application and simultaneously request records from previous schools. That process can take some time, but you don't want to start it until you at least have an application open at the new college because the new college won't know where to file random incoming records. But in general, the whole thing can be sorted out in a month or so.

If you pass tests that allow you to directly forward scores at the time of testing (CLEP, DSST) you can either take advantage of that option, or wait until you've taken all your tests and send 1 transcript with all your passing scores. There is a fee to do that, it's about $40 I think (total, not per test). Sending at the time of testing is free, but again, you'd have to have something open somewhere to receive them, and not everyone has picked a college or applied while they take CLEP tests.

If you use a college credit business (Straighterline, ALEKS, Saylor, Study.com, Sophia, etc.) you'll have 1 additional step. These scores should be placed on an ACE transcript. You'll have to create an ACE account and username (free/fast) and then as you complete courses, you simply go into your ACE account and "add a course" to your account. ACE will follow up to confirm that you did actually pass, and then they will officially put it on your ACE transcript. While some of the companies have partnerships with colleges and allow you to do a direct forward, you still should put it on your ACE transcript. Having it on your ACE transcript means you can use it forever wherever, if you skip this step, other colleges can't accept it in transfer off of a college transcript since it's not original credit from that college. When you have an ACE transcript with courses, you'll then send it on to your new college. If you are still adding courses, you'll have to send a new updated transcript later.
AJ_Atlanta Wrote:A traditional college to college transfer involves a transcript request (and usually a fee) from the originating school to the "new" where they undergo a evaluation process accepting or not accepting at their seemly random discretion

Yes - every school has their own process and requirements about credits, and get to apply them as they wish. Every single school will treat other school's transfer credits differently. The only "guarantee" you have is if you transfer from one school to another where they 2 schools have an articulation agreement, showing exactly how credits will transfer in - this is very common between the community and state colleges, where you are doing an in-state transfer, or local transfer. Like a California CC to a California state college/university, or a San Diego area CC and a San Diego area private university. They will have the articulation agreements available for everyone to see, so they can plan out their transfers easily.

Many of us on this forum have many credits that can't be used at a school we transfer to because the school doesn't give credit for them, or else they just don't fit into the degree program that we want. Some of us have TONS of "unused" credits floating around.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think someone mentioned one state that legally mandated transfers, I don't recall the state only that is one area of education the federal government could actually help with

My .02 at least
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970 freeloader 6 273 05-31-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 9 539 05-30-2024, 08:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,860 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 2,336 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 318 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 978 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 704 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 866 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 758 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 564 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy