Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuing Education stipend ideas
Hi guys,

My employer offers a $2,000 continuing education stipend per year, and I'm trying to get some ideas on what I could spend it on.

The requirements are: 
  • must be relevant/related to my current or possible future position at the company - I'm a software engineer (individual contributor, not really interested in management) at a tech company
  • must be something that results in a certification, degree, certificate of completion - really anything that says I successfully did the thing
  • no conferences
I already have an MS in Software Development (although I'm not opposed to getting another degree) and just about all the Coursera certs related to my job. I also have a company-paid Udemy account. Aside from maybe an AWS cert (although I'm not a huge fan of proctored exams - I'm in a rural area and my internet connection sometimes gets wonky on video calls), do you guys have any ideas for me? 

Thank you in advance Smile
MS Software Development - Maryville University of St. Louis (2021) - GPA: 4.0  Heart
BS Psychology - Excelsior University (2019) - GPA: 3.75

...returned to help fiancé obtain his BABA in PM & MIS at UMPI (in progress)  Big Grin
(09-20-2023, 12:42 PM)impasta Wrote: Hi guys,

My employer offers a $2,000 continuing education stipend per year, and I'm trying to get some ideas on what I could spend it on.

The requirements are: 
  • must be relevant/related to my current or possible future position at the company - I'm a software engineer (individual contributor, not really interested in management) at a tech company
  • must be something that results in a certification, degree, certificate of completion - really anything that says I successfully did the thing
  • no conferences
I already have an MS in Software Development (although I'm not opposed to getting another degree) and just about all the Coursera certs related to my job. I also have a company-paid Udemy account. Aside from maybe an AWS cert (although I'm not a huge fan of proctored exams - I'm in a rural area and my internet connection sometimes gets wonky on video calls), do you guys have any ideas for me? 

Do you *like* education? Personally, in your position I would be looking at the OMSCS from Georgia Tech with an eye to a PhD in the future. They changed the composition of OMSCS recently to allow research credits, with specific labs taking OMSCS students for research internships, and a thesis option to replace some of the course credits.

A masters with a significant research component like that opens up PhDs from overseas too (which generally do not involve tuition fees).

But that stuff all matters to me because progressive education is something I am interested in. If you aren't, there isn't much point and the money could probably be better spent on industry certifications.

I guess it would just be helpful to know your more long term career goals?
(09-20-2023, 01:18 PM)sarahmac Wrote:

The requirements are: 
  • no conferences

Do you *like* education? Personally, in your position I would be looking at the OMSCS from Georgia Tech with an eye to a PhD in the future. They changed the composition of OMSCS recently to allow research credits, with specific labs taking OMSCS students for research internships, and a thesis option to replace some of the course credits.

A masters with a significant research component like that opens up PhDs from overseas too (which generally do not involve tuition fees).

But that stuff all matters to me because progressive education is something I am interested in. If you aren't, there isn't much point and the money could probably be better spent on industry certifications.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I don't have any specific long-term career goals aside from progressing in rank in my current position. I'm already working my dream job Smile I would be open to eventually teaching undergrad college in my field, but I can already do that with my existing Masters degree.

I also wouldn't necessarily need another Masters degree just to be able to pursue a PhD or Doctorate in Europe. I have looked into this before since I have dual citizenship and would be paying little to no tuition fees, so that may be an option, but I'm not sure that I want to commit to a PhD or Doctorate at this time. Great suggestion though. 

And yes, industry certifications are definitely an option. I just feel like it would be a waste to not take advantage of this generous education stipend.
MS Software Development - Maryville University of St. Louis (2021) - GPA: 4.0  Heart

...returned to help fiancé obtain his BABA in PM & MIS at UMPI (in progress)  Big Grin
(09-20-2023, 04:31 PM)impasta Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 01:18 PM)sarahmac Wrote:

The requirements are: 
  • no conferences

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I don't have any specific long-term career goals aside from progressing in rank in my current position. I'm already working my dream job Smile I would be open to eventually teaching undergrad college in my field, but I can already do that with my existing Masters degree.

I also wouldn't necessarily need another Masters degree just to be able to pursue a PhD or Doctorate in Europe. I have looked into this before since I have dual citizenship and would be paying little to no tuition fees, so that may be an option, but I'm not sure that I want to commit to a PhD or Doctorate at this time. Great suggestion though. 

And yes, industry certifications are definitely an option. I just feel like it would be a waste to not take advantage of this generous education stipend.

You wouldn't necessarily need one, no, but that presumes your previous masters had a large thesis component and research elements inside? It looked from the website like it didn't, apologies if the site is misleading. 

Otherwise many European countries require a second set of coursework as part of the PhD which then leads to in presence requirements. I only thought of the OMSCS because of the new structure that permits the research oriented option!

I agree on the taking advantage of it thing!
Hmm, if you have a Masters and also most of the Coursera certs that appeal to you and experience from work, you've got the trifecta already (certs, degree, experience). You have the same benefit I do, at different amounts though (mine is less which is alright)... What can the stipend be spent on? You may want to further get certs, experience, I don't think adding a secondary degree would do too much...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-21-2023, 10:09 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, if you have a Masters and also most of the Coursera certs that appeal to you and experience from work, you've got the trifecta already (certs, degree, experience).  You have the same benefit I do, at different amounts though (mine is less which is alright)... What can the stipend be spent on?  You may want to further get certs, experience, I don't think adding a secondary degree would do too much...

Thank you for responding! It can be anything that results in some form of proof of completion, whether that is a certification, a degree, or just one of those certificate of completion pdfs... No conferences though, we have a separate allowance for those.

Would've been nice to have that benefit while I was working on my degrees Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worldwide Education Services (WES) Shelf life? nyrsimon 3 251 04-02-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: nyrsimon
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 216 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 2,044 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 363 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 375 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 273 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Panorama Education Acquires Mesa Cloud... bjcheung77 0 435 07-01-2023, 01:45 AM
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 833 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Is an Ivy Education Worth It? Imbanewbie 2 581 05-02-2023, 02:37 PM
  Education Scams Are Everywhere davewill 8 967 04-23-2023, 08:49 PM