Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Programming Language Course
I am looking for a college course in R Statistical Programming Language. I would prefer a distance/online course. (Is that realistic for this type of course?) I would like to take it as preparation for a master’s program. So far, I have not been able to find any mention of one at the undergraduate level.

Any ideas for where to find this?

If not, could an Intro to Programming course be a suitable substitute? Then, I could learn the specifics of R through books/websites.

I have learned about basic HTML to code a website. Is that a similar idea to computer programming or very different?

Thank you so much for any help and advice!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
What your looking for is a class on computational statistics.

If you google "computational statistics with r" and you will get some ideas of where look.

I think ucla has stats 102a, not sure if avail online.
Thanks for the great lead! At UCLA, it is upper-level, is part of the statistics department, and has prerequisites. That explains why I have been having trouble finding this course.

If anyone else has more information to share, please do; I would really appreciate it.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

sorry i was in a rush to post before heading out and didnt quite answer or help all that much.

so if you have done html coding that will help, and if you have had stats classes already that will be the big help. because R is just a stats calculator/grapher so having some kind of coding and already understanding stats should help.

look at this site first and see if you think you can handle it.
An Introduction to R

its easy to download and install on windows and mac platforms.

also there are tons of sites like the following for an opencourse like class
Introduction to R: A course in the statistical programming environment R
If you haven't taken an Intro to programming you need to. WHatever they teach it in java or C++. You need to get the understanding of programming its different than HTML. If you plan on going to grad school for some sort of computer degree you need a couple computer language courses (data structures, algorithms) also.
TESC BSBA: CIS graduate Sept. 2011
If you know HTML I would suggest getting a javascript for dummies book and forcing yourself through it.
Javascript is becoming more and more important every day and is the language of the web since it runs in every single browser. It is also a very accessible language to code in since you just need notepad and internet explorer or firefox to get started.
You could probably teach yourself basic javascript if you can force yourself to read the whole dummies book and do all of the practice exercises in a couple of weeks.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Start with Python. Simple, elegant, and incredibly readable. Despite the name, the (free online) book "Learn Python the Hard Way" is very very good and very thorough.

Learn Python The Hard Way | A Beginner Programming Book

Quote:Have you always wanted to learn how to code but never thought you could? Are you looking to build a foundation for more complex coding? Do you want to challenge your brain in a new way? Then Learn Python the Hard Way is the book for you.
The Hard Way Is Easier

LPTHW emphasizes precision, attention to detail, and persistence by requiring you to type each exercise (no copy-paste!) and make it run, as well as to read up on outside topics and to return to exercises and ideas that you don't understand, and understand them.

At the end of LPTHW, you'll know the basics of coding, and be ready to move on to more challenging books. Or at least you'll have tried something new.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
is the goal to learn R for stats or a programming language?

if stats then your knowledge of HTML structure and syntax is enough to learn R.
if programming, then yes the advice of python is a great place to start. seek out "python programming: and introduction to computer science" book. can be found in pdf as well.
Thank you all for taking the time to provide extra details! I think they will be helpful to me.

Yes, this is to prepare for a master’s program in biostatistics. Several years ago, I had been told some background in Basic/C++/Fortran would be a good idea. It looks like R is more specific to the courses offered in the degree now.

For now, I think I should focus on finding a course for R. I would prefer to learn it on my own (thanks for all of the links!), but it may be better to be able to earn college credit for it.

If anyone else has seen a college course in R, please let me know.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

The reason I suggested javascript is that all programmers who write web based code have to know javascript. If you build a web application with python you will still have to write javascript at some point in time. The same goes with C#, C++, Java or any language that emits HTML. Even static HTML sites use javascript.

I know a lot of smart programmers who freak out when they have to write javascript.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 262 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,209 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,062 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,348 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Peruvian university PUCP online language courses Avidreader 1 553 08-15-2023, 02:31 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Ukrainian-founded Duolingo rival Preply (language app) focusing on A.I bjcheung77 1 346 08-04-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 780 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,197 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy dscat 7 829 02-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az