Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Composition Modular CLEP/ Advancded Composition DSST
Hi there,

A few questions regarding the composition exams...I recently took the College Composition Modular and am wondering how long it takes for schools to grade the essay portion--do they notify you via email or send you something in the mail? If not, how do I know what I scored? Also, has anyone taken the advanced composition DSST exam, if so how does it differ from the CLEP?
College Composition scoring is based on a schedule that's on Collegeboard's website:
https://clep.collegeboard.org/college-co...mail-dates

It usually takes a couple of days to receive after they mail it (via snailmail). Before you receive your results, you won't know what you scored.

I've not taken the DSST, but my understanding is there is NOT an essay portion, it's all multiple choice.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

The exams are totally different.

First, the College Composition or College Composition Modular CLEP's can be taken with or without essay. If you don't take the essay, then it's just MC, and the grade comes immediately. The essay can take a couple of weeks.

The College Comp Modular is 3cr and only counts as English Comp I. The College Composition w/Essay is 6cr and counts as English Comp I & II.

The Advanced English Composition DSST is MC only, and is 3cr and counts as English Comp II.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you for your reply but at my school credit is given for English I and an English elective, not English I and II which is why I am asking how difficult the English Comp DSST is as here that counts for English II. So, if you have taken it what was the difference between exams?
(09-02-2017, 02:19 PM)chasey11442 Wrote: Thank you for your reply but at my school credit is given for English I and an English elective, not English I and II which is why I am asking how difficult the English Comp DSST is as here that counts for English II. So, if you have taken it what was the difference between exams?

I passed both of these exams. The DSST had more focus on how an essay is written, identifying a thesis, quoting/citing formats, evaluating sources, differences between APA/MLA/CMS. I found the DSST info sheet to be very well aligned with the exam. If you study all of the topics on the exam sheet you will have the knowledge needed to pass. The Modular Composition Clep had more focus on grammar, revising, and analysis. The CLEP also had some citing references with more focus on picking out individual components/location of the citation (ex: is the number 1956 the page number or year of publication?) whereas the DSST would show a citation and ask if it was APA or MLA. Studying citations will help on both exams in different ways. I felt they were similar in difficulty.
[-] The following 2 users Like n2yoga's post:
  • BingCherry, lca88
(09-03-2017, 10:37 PM)n2yoga Wrote: I passed both of these exams. The DSST had more focus on how an essay is written, identifying a thesis, quoting/citing formats, evaluating sources, differences between APA/MLA/CMS. I found the DSST info sheet to be very well aligned with the exam. If you study all of the topics on the exam sheet you will have the knowledge needed to pass. The Modular Composition Clep had more focus on grammar, revising, and analysis. The CLEP also had some citing references with more focus on picking out individual components/location of the citation (ex: is the number 1956 the page number or year of publication?) whereas the DSST would show a citation and ask if it was APA or MLA. Studying citations will help on both exams in different ways. I felt they were similar in difficulty.

Do you think if I passed the Peterson's 3 practice tests (with a 78, 78, 88) that I could pass both the CLEP and DSST? I feel I'm doing ok but my trouble is distinguishing between the format styles (APA, MLA, CMS)
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
Nevermind.. HA I went to take it today and passed it.
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
[-] The following 3 users Like BingCherry's post:
  • davewill, inkleind, quigongene
(09-27-2017, 01:03 PM)BingCherry Wrote: Nevermind.. HA  I went to take it today and passed it.

Any tips? I'm planning to take it on November 17.
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,176 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,528 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,921 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 229 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 494 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 387 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 722 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 204 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 209 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor