Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)?
Hello,

I am an international student and I want to apply for GaTech's OMSCS.  My background is non-stem, and I would like to complete the following CS prerequisites (data structures & algorithms, java programming, operating systems) and they have to be regionally accredited.

What would be the best/cheapest way to accomplish this?

Thank you!
Where does it say that they have to be regionally accredited? We have had multiple students apply to and get admitted to GT's OMSCS without having those credits come from an RA institution.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Take them at American Public University online. They offer those courses for $800-$900 each.
@OP, you should fill in the addendum/template, having the bare minimum requirements doesn't cut it nowadays. To answer your question: Community college online courses are your best option... If you can find them that is...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
New Mexico CC's have cheap online courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nyvrem's post:
  • Pikachu
You may want to research XAMK and Metropolia University Courses with those requierements, DS&A and Operating Systems are EUR25 at Metropolia each (I'm considering to take those ones too)
[-] The following 1 user Likes elcastor21's post:
  • Pikachu
(09-20-2023, 09:44 AM)elcastor21 Wrote: You may want to research XAMK and Metropolia University Courses with those requierements, DS&A and Operating Systems are EUR25 at Metropolia each (I'm considering to take those ones too)

Good point! 25€ each + $200 evaluation fee for all three is less than the cost of a couple of months of Study.com. Throw in a couple of free CS/CS-related classes for good measure and you've really got a steal.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Thank you everyone for chimming in. I was actually considering Metropolia thanks to this forum, as one of the evaluation service providers that is willing to work with Finnish transcripts is accepted by GaTech.

However, ideally I want to be able to request letter of recommendations and I am not sure Metropolia would do it.

I find it interesting that students with non RA credits have been accepted. Could you elaborate please?

I will also look into the other colleges and universities the other users mentioned.
(09-20-2023, 03:58 PM)therightstuff Wrote: Thank you everyone for chimming in. I was actually considering Metropolia thanks to this forum, as one of the evaluation service providers that is willing to work with Finnish transcripts is accepted by GaTech.

However, ideally I want to be able to request letter of recommendations and I am not sure Metropolia would do it.

I find it interesting that students with non RA credits have been accepted. Could you elaborate please?

I will also look into the other colleges and universities the other users mentioned.

Check out this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid403647

frankc only took Python and OOP Java from an RA university (Excelsior). All other Comp Sci courses were from alt sources.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(09-21-2023, 03:43 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 03:58 PM)therightstuff Wrote: Thank you everyone for chimming in. I was actually considering Metropolia thanks to this forum, as one of the evaluation service providers that is willing to work with Finnish transcripts is accepted by GaTech.

Check out this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid403647

frankc only took Python and OOP Java from an RA university (Excelsior). All other Comp Sci courses were from alt sources.
Thank you for providing the link. Indeed, and that is interesting. However, it seems that the "crucial" courses (programming) were RA. 

Given the fact that I want to ask for LORs, what would be the best way to go about it? If I could ask from Metropolia, this would truly be the best way, but unfortunately this is impossible.

NMJC has a java course. It also has operating systems and comp. Architecture. I cannot register though as they do not seem available for Fall 2023. Also, I would like a DS&A too, ideally. 

Any other cheap options?

Please note that I am thinking about MCIT  from UPenn too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 8 175 4 hours ago
Last Post: 3ichael7ambert
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,590 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 683 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,971 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 727 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 399 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,277 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 546 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 418 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 19,129 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy