Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest? Easiest? RA degree(s) in USA?
(01-08-2023, 03:12 PM)allvia Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 07:00 PM)omicreativedev Wrote: I've read almost a hundred threads here (love this forum.)

1) What do you think is the CHEAPEST (LEAST COSTING) regionally accredited degree? [Not counting Federal Aid or Alt Credit Fees like sophia/study] Are there any that can be done under $1000?

If you're eligible for a full Pell Grant you have many options under $1000.00. However for part two of this question the answer is 'No, there are no RA schools that can be completed for $1000 (or less) if you exclude Fed Aid and Alt Credits (at bachelor degree level)'.

What I meant by this is $1000 or less outside of costs covered by federal aid and not counting monies paid for alt credits. So if a school was 2500 per semester 2x a year and pell covered it, I would consider it $1000 or less. Or if it was $1000 cash but also costs $1200 for a year of Sophia, I would also consider it (for this post purpose) under $1000. 

Considering that alt credits would be counted as 'educational expenses' or deducted from employment benefits, for instance, under an agency program; or through an ABLE account or something similar like an FSS program- and considering the $1000 at cash that isn't otherwise possible to expense.

Also not counting textbooks required for courses as those can be expensed.

So in short, not really under $1000- just under $1000 cash out of pocket that isn't expensible or covered by aid.
If you live in TX, then one of the CBE degrees from there might be cheaper than UMPI.

But, since you asked about high school students:
1) UMPI YourPace can't be started until you're 20
2) TESU can't be completed until you're 18 with a waiver (normally 20)
3) EU can't be completed until you graduate from high school

Obviously you can START the process of getting alt-credit sooner, but you can't graduate from these schools until you meet the minimum age requirement.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-09-2023, 10:36 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you live in TX, then one of the CBE degrees from there might be cheaper than UMPI.

Obviously you can START the process of getting alt-credit sooner, but you can't graduate from these schools until you meet the minimum age requirement.

Did I mention high school students? Confused Maybe a different post?

(01-07-2023, 08:43 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 08:01 PM)davewill Wrote: Honorable mention to the Pierpont BOG AAS which can be 100% transferred in and is free.

Well, there isn't a fee from Pierpont, but you do have to pay for the courses somewhere so it's not 100% free.

Does Pierpont generally allow transferring in a lot of credits? Or only that program?
(01-09-2023, 10:40 AM)omicreativedev Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 10:36 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you live in TX, then one of the CBE degrees from there might be cheaper than UMPI.

From your original post: "I know this is subjective but for scale, easy would be defined by being open book, or almost anyone would at least pass, or wouldn't be too challenging for an average high schooler with good grades."

Sounded like you were talking about someone in high school, not a high school graduate.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There are also degrees paid for by employers.

Starbucks for example, will pay for your degree through Arizona State University.
ASU accepts CLEP, DSST, and AP exams toward credit.

Here is a list of employers who have a program for helping pay for your degree:
https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.com/2021/05/16/100-employee-scholarships/#more-20472

Some employers pay everything, some only pay tuition so you still need to supply books.
Some will pay for any degree, some only certain degrees.
Some will pay for certain universities, some pay for any university.

It takes research to find exactly what you are looking for, but the list is a great starting point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Carnation's post:
  • omicreativedev
Does Pierpont generally allow transferring in a lot of credits? Or only that program?

As far as we know, it's only the BOG Associate's. The general policy for their normal programs caps transfer credit at 35 hours according to their website. So you'd most likely have to take 25 credit hours in residency through Pierpont for a non-Board of Governors degree
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • omicreativedev
(01-09-2023, 10:52 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 10:40 AM)omicreativedev Wrote:

From your original post: "I know this is subjective but for scale, easy would be defined by being open book, or almost anyone would at least pass, or wouldn't be too challenging for an average high schooler with good grades."

Sounded like you were talking about someone in high school, not a high school graduate.

Oh! Yes, I was defining "easy" as something a high-schooler could do.
But not saying this is all for someone in high-school, or any grade or age for that matter.
Was just trying to find a way to "for scale" how I would define easy.
(01-09-2023, 10:32 AM)omicreativedev Wrote: What I meant by this is $1000 or less outside of costs covered by federal aid and not counting monies paid for alt credits. So if a school was 2500 per semester 2x a year and pell covered it, I would consider it $1000 or less. Or if it was $1000 cash but also costs $1200 for a year of Sophia, I would also consider it (for this post purpose) under $1000. 

Considering that alt credits would be counted as 'educational expenses' or deducted from employment benefits, for instance, under an agency program; or through an ABLE account or something similar like an FSS program- and considering the $1000 at cash that isn't otherwise possible to expense.

Also not counting textbooks required for courses as those can be expensed.

So in short, not really under $1000- just under $1000 cash out of pocket that isn't expensible or covered by aid.

Keep in mind that everyone doesn't receive the same amount in Pell or any Pell at all. So people tend to speak to the actual costs involved on here. Everyone doesn't know all of the various amounts of different grants available which vary by state and then there's the feds. It's easier to speak in terms of actual full dollar amounts so you get a true picture. Sometimes people think they're going to get the full amount in Pell and then they don't so they end up struggling. 

What do you mean textbooks can be expensed?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • omicreativedev
(01-10-2023, 10:07 AM)omicreativedev Wrote: Oh! Yes, I was defining "easy" as something a high-schooler could do.
But not saying this is all for someone in high-school, or any grade or age for that matter.
Was just trying to find a way to "for scale" how I would define easy.

There are some high schools that are way harder than most universities. There are some high schools that are way easier than a lot of middle schools. And high school students, just as everyone else, vary in their abilities. Some can't do math, some struggle with reading, etc., no matter how good the school is.

Also, this is a very international bunch here, so even the courses you might take can vary widely depending on experiences. I know people who went up to Calc 2 or 3 in high school, though many American high schoolers are lucky to get a basic Calc 1 class, depending on funding and so on.

If I tell you that an engineering degree is easy, would you believe me? Probably not. But I know people who might have struggled with any other type of degree. If I tell you that a history degree is easy, there are people who wouldn't believe that either. They find history boring and have difficulty writing history papers. "Easy" is very contextual.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 4 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Library2HospitalChaplain, omicreativedev, origamishuttle, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 29 6,033 11 hours ago
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 717 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 299 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 686 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 614 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 549 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 299 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 909 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,259 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,889 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74