Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest? Easiest? RA degree(s) in USA?
I've read almost a hundred threads here (love this forum.)

1) What do you think is the CHEAPEST (LEAST COSTING) regionally accredited degree? [Not counting Federal Aid or Alt Credit Fees like sophia/study] Are there any that can be done under $1000?

2) What school allows the MOST total credits to transfer in or test through? Meaning, taking the LEAST number of courses at the school to finish the degree? Most I've seen still require 10 courses at the school or online. Are there any RA degrees that require fewer?

3) What RA degree is the EASIEST, meaning- despite cost or length, is really easy as far as coursework/testing? I know this is subjective but for scale, easy would be defined by being open book, or almost anyone would at least pass, or wouldn't be too challenging for an average high schooler with good grades.

4) What RA degree is the absolute FASTEST to complete (granted all the credits from external sources allowed are met.)

Thank you for your time in advance.

Heart Blush Heart
The answer to number two is the Big 3, TESU, COSC, and Excelsior. They all allow you to transfer in all but 6 or so credits. That is why they are the Big 3. Does not mean they are the cheapest, because they are not.

Honorable mention to the Pierpont BOG AAS which can be 100% transferred in and is free.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • omicreativedev
(01-07-2023, 08:01 PM)davewill Wrote: Honorable mention to the Pierpont BOG AAS which can be 100% transferred in and is free.

Well, there isn't a fee from Pierpont, but you do have to pay for the courses somewhere so it's not 100% free.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • omicreativedev
(01-07-2023, 08:01 PM)davewill Wrote: The answer to number two is the Big 3, TESU, COSC, and Excelsior. They all allow you to transfer in all but 6 or so credits. That is why they are the Big 3. Does not mean they are the cheapest, because they are not.

They charge lots of fees for assessing credits thought right?
TESU doe not charge anything for accepting your transfer credit, as far a I know COSC/Excelsior don't either.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
1. Cheapest RA bachelors is from UMPI. Depending on degree, it can be had for as little as $1400 + Sophia fees.

2. TESU, COSC, or Excelsior, in theory. In practice, COSC is out because there simply aren't enough UL credits that they'll accept any more. That leaves just TESU or Excelsior for 99% of students.

3. Possibly a TESU or Excelsior BALS or BSLS degree. There are a number of open book or otherwise easy alt-credit classes. UMPI is also pretty easy for students who can write. Final grades at UMPI are assessed based on a single paper or project.

4. It's pretty even here. Probably UMPI or Excelsior, if you're counting time from enrollment to receiving diploma. TESU is pretty speedy, but they only graduate students a few times per year. If you're unlucky enough, I think it could be a bit longer than 6 months from starting your term at TESU to receiving your diploma. UMPI can be as soon as 5-6 weeks, Excelsior would be 3-4 months, I think.

Bear in mind, though, that if you're going for "easy", that's going to be pretty incompatible with "fast". Fast, easy, cheap: pick two. If you try to speed through UMPI, it'll be fast and cheap but it won't be easy. If you go for easy and cheap, it won't be fast.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • davewill, openair, origamishuttle
(01-07-2023, 08:43 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 08:01 PM)davewill Wrote: Honorable mention to the Pierpont BOG AAS which can be 100% transferred in and is free.

Well, there isn't a fee from Pierpont, but you do have to pay for the courses somewhere so it's not 100% free.

Sure, but the OP specifically said to ignore alt credit fees.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(01-08-2023, 11:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: 1. Cheapest RA bachelors is from UMPI. Depending on degree, it can be had for as little as $1400 + Sophia fees.

Maybe a better way to phrase this is "multiples of $1400." Plenty of people have finished in one term, but it's always important to keep in mind that a second term doubles the price. However, even $2800 or $4200 is less than almost all other RA degrees, so the value is there unless it takes more than three terms.

(01-07-2023, 07:00 PM)omicreativedev Wrote: 2) What school allows the MOST total credits to transfer in or test through? Meaning, taking the LEAST number of courses at the school to finish the degree? Most I've seen still require 10 courses at the school or online. Are there any RA degrees that require fewer?

The tradeoff here tends to be speed. The UL courses at Study.com are not all that different from UL courses in a CBE degree, so if you have the ability to progress quickly, it might make more sense to go for the CBE degree. If you need to take your time and build up transfer credits, then TESU or EU can save money over multiple terms in CBE.

(01-08-2023, 11:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: 3. Possibly a TESU or Excelsior BALS or BSLS degree. There are a number of open book or otherwise easy alt-credit classes. UMPI is also pretty easy for students who can write. Final grades at UMPI are assessed based on a single paper or project.

I'm not sure about EU, but I'm definitely intimidated by the three-month TESU capstone. UMPI does seem to be on the easier side.

(01-08-2023, 11:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: 4. It's pretty even here. Probably UMPI or Excelsior, if you're counting time from enrollment to receiving diploma. TESU is pretty speedy, but they only graduate students a few times per year. If you're unlucky enough, I think it could be a bit longer than 6 months from starting your term at TESU to receiving your diploma. UMPI can be as soon as 5-6 weeks, Excelsior would be 3-4 months, I think.

This is a great point about conferral. The absolute fastest for conferral is WGU, which happens approximately a week after completing degree requirements and applying for graduation. And it can take as little as three weeks to start the degree after all transfer courses are completed and sent for evaluation. Assuming the ability to complete WGU courses quickly (a large assumption) WGU is the fastest from start to conferral.

(01-08-2023, 11:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Bear in mind, though, that if you're going for "easy", that's going to be pretty incompatible with "fast". Fast, easy, cheap: pick two. If you try to speed through UMPI, it'll be fast and cheap but it won't be easy. If you go for easy and cheap, it won't be fast.

UMPI coursework, at least, is probably not more difficult than most options. So while speed will make things more difficult, UMPI comes the closest to being fast, easy, and cheap. One last thing to consider with UMPI is the lead time to start after applying, which I think is 2-3 months for most.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(01-08-2023, 11:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: 4. It's pretty even here. Probably UMPI or Excelsior, if you're counting time from enrollment to receiving diploma. TESU is pretty speedy, but they only graduate students a few times per year. If you're unlucky enough, I think it could be a bit longer than 6 months from starting your term at TESU to receiving your diploma. UMPI can be as soon as 5-6 weeks, Excelsior would be 3-4 months, I think.

Yeah, assuming you're ready to enroll for a single term to finish your TESU courses and graduate, it's four to six months to graduate. Four months is the absolute fastest you can do that with TESU. For example, for a June graduation, the last term you can start the capstone course is the Feb term. There are 4 graduation dates, March, June, Sep, and Dec

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

(01-07-2023, 07:00 PM)omicreativedev Wrote: I've read almost a hundred threads here (love this forum.)

1) What do you think is the CHEAPEST (LEAST COSTING) regionally accredited degree? [Not counting Federal Aid or Alt Credit Fees like sophia/study] Are there any that can be done under $1000?

If you're eligible for a full Pell Grant you have many options under $1000.00. However for part two of this question the answer is 'No, there are no RA schools that can be completed for $1000 (or less) if you exclude Fed Aid and Alt Credits (at bachelor degree level)'.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 29 6,016 6 hours ago
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 715 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 299 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 686 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 613 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 547 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 299 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 908 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,259 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,886 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74