Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certificate vs Certification
LOL, I don't like repeating either, so if I was in a similar situation and people are confusing the two, I would have a little cheat sheet or something for them to refer to instead of me explaining to them verbally. As for myself, I also have many people who aren't "techy" enough on some things and I get many repetitive questions, I have FAQ's and other sharepoint/teamsites made for exactly that with documents that they can review (I keep these documents very concise and short).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-07-2022, 02:55 PM)sanantone Wrote: ... No, the undergraduate certificate in Cisco networking at your community college is not a Cisco certification.

depends on the school

(08-17-2022, 08:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 10:45 PM)ifomonay Wrote: They both mean the same thing. They're used interchangeably.

I think you made her point.

again, it depends                 

are you cisco certified ?       
do you have a cisco certificate ?    
what version is your cisco certification ?

same thing           

CCNA literally means Cisco Certified Network Associate

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-e...about-ccna

"CCNA certification proves you have what it takes to navigate the ever-changing landscape of IT."

which translates to "Cisco Certified Network Associate certification ... " which is kind of funny

you can actually go to cisco's site and get a pdf copy of your Cisco Certified Network Associate certificate to put on linkedin
Jesus Christ it's like people go out of their way to be obtuse.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • sanantone
All certified people have a certificate. Everyone with a certification has a certificate. Not everyone who has a certificate is certified or has a certification.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 5 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, jsd, origamishuttle, Pikachu, sanantone
A diploma is a type of certificate. That doesn't mean that everyone with a certificate has a college degree. A certificate is just a document showing that you completed an academic or training course or, in some cases, passed a proficiency test.

I forgot, there are also certificates for awards and acknowledgements, such as Employee of the Month and a Certificate of Appreciation. At its most basic level, a certificate is just a piece of paper (or badge or PDF document in modern times) showing that you achieved something. Certificates are handed out for anything and everything. I had a certificate showing that I was registered as a chemical dependency counselor. I was neither certified nor licensed yet; I was collecting experience hours for the license and still needed to take the exam. The certificate only proved that I went through a background check, submitted my transcripts showing that I met the educational requirements, and that I was listed in the state's registry as an intern.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
For the Cisco example: CCNA is a specific certification issued by Cisco, issued after you pass a specific exam(used to be 2 exams) which requires renewal after 3 years to stay current(for you to stay certified). If you don't renew it, you're no longer certified. Many colleges offer a series of courses that are supposed to train you up on Cisco technology, which will theoretically prepare you for the certification exam as well. If you complete the course or courses, the college may issue you a certificate for completing those courses. If you don't go on to take and pass the CCNA exam, you're not certified. Its possible to both have a certificate issued by the school and a certification issued by Cisco, but they are not the same thing. Cisco also has their own online training academy. If you complete a Cisco Academy course, you'll usually get a digital badge which is the equivalent of a certificate of completion, but again if you don't then take and pass the certification exam, you're not certified. It's also possible for a college to use Cisco Academy courseware for their classes, therefore making it possible for you to receive a certificate from the school and a digital badge from Cisco Academy and then if one then proceeds to take and pass the actual CCNA exam, they will also be certified.

Edit to add: it's also possible for a school program to require you to pass the actual CCNA exam in order to pass the school's certificate program, but completing course requirements and passing a specific certification exam(and meeting any other requirements) are still 2 discrete accomplishments.

Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood anything.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 4 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • jsd, origamishuttle, Pikachu, sanantone
(08-18-2022, 01:42 PM)MNomadic Wrote: For the Cisco example: CCNA is a specific certification issued by Cisco, issued after you pass a specific exam(used to be 2 exams) which requires renewal after 3 years to stay current(for you to stay certified). If you don't renew it, you're no longer certified. Many colleges offer a series of courses that are supposed to train you up on Cisco technology, which will theoretically prepare you for the certification exam as well. If you complete the course or courses, the college may issue you a certificate for completing those courses. If you don't go on to take and pass the CCNA exam, you're not certified. Its possible to both have a certificate issued by the school and a certification issued by Cisco, but they are not the same thing. Cisco also has their own online training academy. If you complete a Cisco Academy course, you'll usually get a digital badge which is the equivalent of a certificate of completion, but again if you don't then take and pass the certification exam, you're not certified. It's also possible for a college to use Cisco Academy courseware for their classes, therefore making it possible for you to receive a certificate from the school and a digital badge from Cisco Academy and then if one then proceeds to take and pass the actual CCNA exam, they will also be certified.

Edit to add: it's also possible for a school program to require you to pass the actual CCNA exam in order to pass the school's certificate program, but completing course requirements and passing a specific certification exam(and meeting any other requirements) are still 2 discrete accomplishments.

Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood anything.

That's a very good breakdown.

It's kind of like AP.  If you take the course, you get high school credit.  If you pass the exam, you get college credit.  You may opt not to take the course and still pass the exam; or you may take the course and not take the exam.  The course does not give you college credit, and the exam doesn't give you high school credit.  They are completely separate entities, with different uses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I've learned this the hard way. Certificates are not the same as certifications. I've taken many online courses (free, paid, training for exams) but ultimately they didn't qualify me for XYZ.

Example, I wouldn't list a free/paid project management course under Education and Certifications on a resume/app.

If it was a significant course, I'd likely add it as a job accomplishment bullet, "Completed XYX towards...," or "Received XYZ certificate in X software/industry education."

If I can't put it on a resume without explaining it to HR, it's not a certification.
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024
In Progress Cert.: Google PM and IT Support | CAPM
Completed: Certificate and ALS - Community College (RA), 2022, 2023

CLEP: 5 courses | Sophia.org: 1 course | and many non-credits...
I know this is an older thread but I just happened upon a blog post from CompTIA discussing this very topic:

https://www.comptia.org/blog/difference-...rtificates
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-20-2022, 10:21 AM)MNomadic Wrote: I know this is an older thread but I just happened upon a blog post from CompTIA discussing this very topic:

https://www.comptia.org/blog/difference-...rtificates

An acquaintance just wasted money on CompTIA prep courses because he didn't know the difference between a certificate and certification. He thought he would finish the courses with CompTIA certifications or exam vouchers, but the courses only result in a certificate of completion.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paralegal certificate lumina 3 803 02-04-2023, 03:45 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  Does Any one have PUG - AWS certificate screenshots from the last month NewatTESU 30 2,595 11-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  $19 Certificate burbuja0512 28 6,495 09-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate: Possibly Free eriehiker 1 1,696 02-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Medical Assistant Training and Credits for Certification sanantone 1 1,104 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Base SAS Certification NAP 9 2,557 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Last Post: NAP
  For those that haven't seen the FEMA PDS certificate brothert69 12 4,967 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  AMC Airlift Load Plan Certification DCW 1 788 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Last Post: CLEP101