Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capstone Boredom
So, I am in the capstone course and I have a topic I love and I'm really enjoying the course EXCEPT it is sooooo slow. I have four of the five modules already written. I'm at over 60 pages already. We haven't even submitted Module 2 yet. After spending 12 weeks on 42 credits I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs, spending 12 weeks on just 3 credits. Anyone run into this? I'm taking the online option. I wish I had opted for the guided study but my understanding was it would still take 12 weeks as there are assignments in-between the modules. I'm not saying this is an easy course or would be for anyone but I love to write and I had researched the topic pretty extensively before the course started. I had even written Module 1 two weeks before the course started so I had a head start.

I have thought about taking some additional courses just to pass the time. Is there a way to get a double concentration with the Liberal Arts degree at TESU? or any suggestions for an add-on to the bachelors? Maybe another school I can enroll in concurrently? I know I should just enjoy the time coasting but I feel like its a waste of time and I'm ready to start my master's or do something productive - which I won't be able to even start until after degree conferral in September.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
When one is used to drinking from the fire hose, a drinking from pitcher can leave one feeling thirsty.

Congrats, the top of the hill is within your grasp, and this battle's victory is secured. Onto to the next hill, where once again you must fight in the valley, until you once again reach its crest.
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
Some universities will allow an undergrad senior to take a few credits/classes as a non-matriculated student. This might be a good option for you. (If you've chosen the masters already, be sure the credits will transfer in.) You can also begin the application process for the masters.

Otherwise, is there a skill you can develop or perhaps an outside certification that would enhance your resume?

If none of that fits...may I suggest knitting? Wink
Knitting...Haha...I guess I could take up a hobby. It might be less expensive than school anyway and yes, I'll be back in the trenches before you know it.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
You could always take a vacation. Backpacking through the Alps or something?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Congrats.

You could start studying subjects you'll be taking for your Masters. Or planning your Masters thesis Smile

I am getting ready to enroll for the June session (I missed the May one). What's your reason for wanting guided vs online now? I did see why online was recommended (easier grade by just writing on the group). I also did a search to see the pros and cons but couldn't find much actually.

I will be like you, having finished all classes by end of June and doing just capstone in July and Aug (most likely, depending on my mom's cancer). Need to take a CELTA but don't think I can do that from home. Have to check into it and see. Might be a great time to do so if I can!
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
rlw74 Wrote:So, I am in the capstone course and I have a topic I love and I'm really enjoying the course EXCEPT it is sooooo slow. I have four of the five modules already written. I'm at over 60 pages already. We haven't even submitted Module 2 yet. After spending 12 weeks on 42 credits I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs, spending 12 weeks on just 3 credits. Anyone run into this? I'm taking the online option. I wish I had opted for the guided study but my understanding was it would still take 12 weeks as there are assignments in-between the modules. I'm not saying this is an easy course or would be for anyone but I love to write and I had researched the topic pretty extensively before the course started. I had even written Module 1 two weeks before the course started so I had a head start.

I have thought about taking some additional courses just to pass the time. Is there a way to get a double concentration with the Liberal Arts degree at TESU? or any suggestions for an add-on to the bachelors? Maybe another school I can enroll in concurrently? I know I should just enjoy the time coasting but I feel like its a waste of time and I'm ready to start my master's or do something productive - which I won't be able to even start until after degree conferral in September.

How about taking a MOOC or two? Coursera now has specializations. They're not for credit, but I've had some good learning experiences with MOOCs. What are your post-BA plans?

My experience was the opposite of yours. I was pressed for time during my capstone with mandatory overtime at work and some personal setbacks. Against the advice of others here, I took the guided study option, because I also like to write but I had no interest in going back and forth with classmates. The capstone was broken down by chapter and then there was the final - no additional assignments. I know folks said the online version was easier but I'm comfortable with my grade coming entirely from my capstone research & writing and not from the discussion forums. Good thing, because when I was pressed for time, I only had to worry about my own paper.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,299 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,734 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,669 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,975 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,803 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,537 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,794 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,622 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Just finished my Lib Arts Capstone at TESU jsh1138 32 6,153 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Last Post: jsh1138