Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Calculus
I'm planning on taking the CLEP calculus in about two months. What are the best places online and best books to prepare me? What AP test is similar to the calc CLEP? AB or BC?

EDIT:

This thread actually turned into a knowledge base for the CLEP calculus/precalculus exam. There is helpful information throughout.
Bumping for help! I really need some info on this! Thanks in advance! Cool
Completed CLEP Exams:
[COLOR="Red"]Chemistry: 62
Precalculus: 66
[/COLOR]
Planned CLEP Exams:
French
Although I.C. has proved TREMENDOUSLY helpful, not many (if any) that are still active on this board have taken clep calculus. If you are a paying member of instantcert you can view the "specific feedback" section but there is little to no feedback on this particular exam to be found as again, very, very few have actually taken it.

There were a couple of people asking about it but they never came back to give feedback. Try using the google search feature on the entire website, that is about the best feedback you will find for this particular exam on these boards.

I am in the same predicament that you are, I need to take this clep by this summer. I am using a combination of ALEKS/Straighterline for algebra and precalc. Then getting a couple of self teaching books from amazon like the dummies books and spending everyday at the tutoring center at my local community college(free help for registered students).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpSad

69+Brick & Mortar Credits
Financial Accounting Clep- Score 59
Prin. Of Marketing Clep- Score 62
Business Law- Score 57
Prin. Of Management- Score 72
Prin. Of Supervision DSST- Score 63
Human Resource Management DSST- Score 62
Organizational Behavior DSST- Score 62
Intro to Business- DSST Score 67
College Algebra Straighterline-FHSU-"A"
Pre-Calculus ALEKS-ACE-Pass
Microeconomics Clep- Score 64
TESC Business Letter and Report Writing PLA-Pass
Management Info Systems Clep-Score 433
Money and Banking DSST-Score 64
Sales Management TECEP-Pass
Principles of Finance DSST-Score 57
I have Gone out and bought several REA and Cliff books second hand and I am just starting to really study. This does not seem to be a popular exam (:confused: I don't know why not). We will have to be the guinia pigs on this one and help build the information available for future testers.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Hi guys,

Okie, let's get the bad news out of the way first :confused:

Calculus (and maths in general) is one of those subjects where prerequisite knowledge and experience of solving 'easier' problems is necessary. This means, that the syllabus for precalculus has to be fairly well known to you.

Including, but not limited to; Algebra, Trigonometry, Complex numbers, Graphs and functions.

The study of the calculus I itself also (normally) follows a progressive route which is roughly; Limits, then Differentiation, then Integration.

Studying limits and answering problems on them is often harder than differentiating functions or evaluating integrals. Limits are a big part of real and complex Analysis (which is happily, very limited here). However, after hammering at limits, most (harder) limit problems in calculus I can be solved by differentiating the numerator and denominator until the answer appears, i.e. L'hopital's rule.

Manipulation of trig functions and identities is very much required, especially when dealing with integration by parts or trigonometric substitution.

Recognising graphs and being able to read properties such as potential degree or choosing which graph might be the differentiated/original/integrated is worth points.

de Moivre's theorem is in there, too; so you need those complex numbers.

Okie, enough battering us about the head with this nonsense.

Any book suited for a first class in calculus is suitable provided you have roughly the prerequisite knowledge. Whether this means the 'Teach yourself ...' or the '...for Dummies' is up to you. I used both of these titles and others to supplment my 'recommended' text when i did the maths several years ago.

You cannot pass calculus with flashcards. :eek: You must work up to and through the problems in a systematic manner so that you get enough practice.

If you can work through a calculus chapter or section, answer the questions, go back a day later and -recognise- the type of questions and answer them, you are doing the right thing.Big Grin

Notice someone asking here has already passed Chemistry. Good job, this is a comparably tough subject in terms of progressive knowledge and problem-solving, so it's good to see you have form Smile

Good luck guys.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
As someone mentioned before, maybe if you search in the specific exam feedback section, you can find people who have taken clep calculus. However, many of them probably are no longer active on the forum. But maybe after you find them, you could email or PM them. They should be happy to help.

This is what I had to do for clep Precal. All the best!
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
Thanks for the responses everybody.

irnbru Wrote:Notice someone asking here has already passed Chemistry. Good job, this is a comparably tough subject in terms of progressive knowledge and problem-solving, so it's good to see you have form Smile
Yeah. This is my motivation for taking the calculus exam. I've heard that chemistry was supposed to be difficult, but I made a decent score with a relatively light effort.

I'm using these resources right now:

Amazon.com: CLEP Calculus w/ CD-ROM (REA): Gregory Hill: Books

Conquer Calculus

After I finish the REA book, I'll look into some AP clep books and see how those compare. I should get in about 150-200 hours of study before the test (I haven't had math outside of calculations made in lab in a long while). I'll try and keep this thread updated with my progress and hope that somebody who's taken the exam will see this on the front page.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh, and just to be sure about something: instantcert doesn't offer anything on calculus, right? I don't see anything on their website pertaining to calculus or the exam. Am I overlooking something?
Completed CLEP Exams:
[/COLOR]
Planned CLEP Exams:
French
Please keep us up to date on your progress. I have taken the slow, but steady method. I took Algebra and Trig. at CC a long time ago. I have also used lots of math in the lab and helped my 3 children with homework.

I have Cliffs quick review,REA essentials and a Pro 1 CD I also have REA's Problem solvers for calculus and a husband that is a math genius. I am going back and reviewing Algebra and precalc and teaching Algebra(subbing) to help get me ready to start on the Calculus. I know I am putting this off to long, but I am hoping by slowly sliding into it I can overcome my irratioal fear of Calculus.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
i think this books will help you out a whole lot.
BOOKS:
-Teach yourself visually calculus

this book is color coded, it helps

-Calculus for dummies

-Calculus workbooks for dummies

you can find this books on amazon.com

Note: you need the workbook.
Just bumping this thread to see if anybody new finds it.

The studying is going well. I'm almost done with the math tutor DVDs I posted above, and they're pretty helpful. I plan on going through REA's clep book next and then starting tests. If my scores are decent, I'll just keep testing, but if I need more work, I think I'll find an AP calculus book.
Completed CLEP Exams:
[/COLOR]
Planned CLEP Exams:
French

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculus 3 - Need A Source dharmastudios 21 3,734 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,265 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,622 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,207 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,091 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,257 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser