Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakdown of course/site costs
I have been reading all over the forums and getting a headache trying to keep information straight/up to date. Could someone confirm what different sites/courses cost? Am I missing any that have costs associated but are worth considering? Mapping out plans for myself and my husband and need to know the budget ahead of time  Smile

Schmoop - $88/month? Only subscription I'm seeing that offers college credit. Is this for unlimited exams?

Davar - $25/course test

Straighterline - $99/month + $59 per course (also cost of time, with the massive, all encompassing textbook)

Saylor - $25/course

Study.com - $200/month with 2 exams and $70/additional exam 

I feel like Davar and Saylor are crazy cheap compared to the others and want to make sure I'm understanding these truly are the costs to obtain the credit, not just take the course and unable to ACE them for TESU. 

Is there any reason why either of us would NOT want to use Saylor or Davar for as many credits as possible? I will be doing a BALS (concentration in humanities or social sciences maybe??? Only if can fully test out and even then just because, no specific reason at this point) and hubs will likely do a BSBA-GM.

I also just applied for the Guardian Scholarship so obviously if I get it I'll take my free 6 exams (they are free right, no one is yanking my leg on that one?) and try to make sure they hit courses I'll struggle to find elsewhere.
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
(09-18-2017, 02:37 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote: I have been reading all over the forums and getting a headache trying to keep information straight/up to date. Could someone confirm what different sites/courses cost? Am I missing any that have costs associated but are worth considering? Mapping out plans for myself and my husband and need to know the budget ahead of time  Smile

Schmoop - $88/month? Only subscription I'm seeing that offers college credit. Is this for unlimited exams?

Davar - $25/course test

Straighterline - $99/month + $59 per course (also cost of time, with the massive, all encompassing textbook)

Saylor - $25/course

Study.com - $200/month with 2 exams and $70/additional exam 

I feel like Davar and Saylor are crazy cheap compared to the others and want to make sure I'm understanding these truly are the costs to obtain the credit, not just take the course and unable to ACE them for TESU. 

Is there any reason why either of us would NOT want to use Saylor or Davar for as many credits as possible? I will be doing a BALS (concentration in humanities or social sciences maybe??? Only if can fully test out and even then just because, no specific reason at this point) and hubs will likely do a BSBA-GM.

I also just applied for the Guardian Scholarship so obviously if I get it I'll take my free 6 exams (they are free right, no one is yanking my leg on that one?) and try to make sure they hit courses I'll struggle to find elsewhere.
Davar is $70/Course and a $15 testing fee per test i believe
(09-18-2017, 03:06 PM)ECH90 Wrote: Davar is $70/Course and a $15 testing fee per test i believe

Ack! I don't have an account on there (yet?) and the only fees I could find was $25 for UProctor. Wish some of these websites were a little more clear on how they charge.

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doodlebabe's post:
  • ECH90
Davar has a sale every month... it is $70 plus $15-25 without sale pricing.

SL has coupons, so $25 or more off a course.

With Modern States a CLEP is free. Have to travel to a test center, and wait on reimbursement for the test center fee.

Yes Shmoop is unlimited.

(09-18-2017, 03:13 PM)Ideas Wrote: Davar has a sale every month... it is $70 plus $15-25 without sale pricing.

SL has coupons, so $25 or more off a course.

With Modern States a CLEP is free. Have to travel to a test center, and wait on reimbursement for the test center fee.

Yes Shmoop is unlimited.

Oh so that's how Modern States works! Been trying to figure that out for a few days now, all I saw was that the course was free, but not the test. That would help a lot, I previously threw out the idea of CLEPs because my local testing sites all charge an additional $35/test for the "convenience" of being able to test there, which would put CLEPs at $125 each.  Dodgy Do you know about how long reimbursement takes? Is the process to apply for it difficult?

Basically for Davar or SL I'll want to wait for the sales to pop up. I can do that  Smile Do either of those limit how many sales/coupons you can use once you're a member?

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 

Completed:

[-] The following 1 user Likes Doodlebabe's post:
  • Toastmaster
I'm told 6-8 weeks. They need a receipt.

I don't think so.

There's no money hitch with the Guardian Scholarship (it's free). The first course you have to take is Personal Finance, and you have 3 months from the date they send you the approval email (NOT the date you sign up).

Modernstates will send you a voucher for the CLEP and send you a check for the sitting fee after you send them the receipt. The reimbursement checks take a while (up to 2 months from my email conversations with them). Still, you can't beat the deal with a stick.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(09-18-2017, 04:29 PM)quigongene Wrote: There's no money hitch with the Guardian Scholarship (it's free).  The first course you have to take is Personal Finance, and you have 3 months from the date they send you the approval email (NOT the date you sign up).

Modernstates will send you a voucher for the CLEP and send you a check for the sitting fee after you send them the receipt.  The reimbursement  checks take a while (up to 2 months from my email conversations with them).  Still, you can't beat the deal with a stick.

Oh, that's good to know. I don't have an account with them yet but fingers crossed I get the scholarship! That would be nice. 

And thanks for the extra clarification on Modern States. Combined with the response from Ideas 2 months sounds on par.

Another possibly easy question but I'm a little fuzzy on TECEPs. Some threads I've read say you need to take one to officially be a TESU student (or something along those lines). Some ignore them completely, even on their spreadsheets.
TECEP: Is taking one required or no? Is that what the study.com residency waiver is for? *This bit is something I am VERY confused about*

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 

Completed:

Yeah, thankfully you don't have to pay for the CLEP part up front. The voucher takes care of that one.

The Guardian scholarship is excellent.

Shmoop is so cheap, but can be very frustrating.

TECEP's are a good way to become officially enrolled at TESU, but it depends on when you decide to apply. If you were to get a bunch of credits (maybe because you weren't sure if you wanted to go through another of the Big 3 or another school or something), then you applied at TESU later, you might just want to take the Capstone - in which case you would be enrolled due to that instead of a TECEP.

The price for a TECEP is $117.

TECEP's Residency Waiver is $2500 for out of state students. But, if you take an exam or two through Study.com, you're eligible to enroll at TESU with the Study.com affiliate membership. You then get a waiver for the Cornerstone ($300), and a $700 discount on the Residency Waiver, as well as a discount on any TESU Online courses you take (like the capstone, which would run you $1497 as an OOS student, but instead you get it for $1098). So paying $199 for a month of Study.com not only gets you 6 credits (2 courses) but you save $1400 and a course (the cornerstone). It's a great deal.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is AI Finally a Way to Reduce Higher Ed Costs? LevelUP 2 176 04-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 242 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  Rising student housing costs... bjcheung77 0 389 08-04-2022, 12:39 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Where Do All Your Tuition Dollars Go for Online College? Surprising Breakdown LevelUP 8 1,124 04-28-2022, 04:36 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  UExcel exam costs $220 nomaduser 5 1,535 03-14-2021, 04:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study site, Study.com or Petersons btinnc 0 884 03-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Last Post: btinnc
  confirmation of EC costs - June, 2019 EducationSeeker 7 1,860 06-29-2019, 02:57 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Trouble logging in to DSST site magflo 2 1,037 06-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Last Post: magflo
  degree plans and choosing what site/group to test with turborelaxation 7 1,521 12-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Anyone else having trouble with the teex site? fork 2 983 04-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Last Post: fork