Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black NYU Student Kept from Attending Class
A black NYU social work student was in France, so he was unable to attend class physically. So, he received permission from faculty to attend through FaceTime. When he emailed some of the students in the class, no one answered, so he was unable to attend. One student finally responded to his email. 

Quote:...I found it easier to lead the discussion without black presence in the room, since I do feel somewhat uncomfortable with the (perceived) threat that it poses--something which I have been working on but it will take more time than I would like it to be.

This guy is in the wrong field. 

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019...dent-email
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I honestly think that the fact that no one in the class would even respond to him, let alone help him, to be more telling than this one response is.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • jsd, sanantone
(02-19-2019, 05:55 PM)davewill Wrote: I honestly think that the fact that no one in the class would even respond to him, let alone help him, to be more telling than this one response is.

Yes, it is. There is always going to be that one person everywhere, but the fact that everyone else went along with it is disturbing.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Geez! What is wrong with people?!

These sort of things always remind me of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIpyGQxa2ZY

As someone who grew up in a tri-racial home, I just really can't understand this. I cannot wait until we are just all one blended race and this sort of thing isn't happening anymore. Even dating with these issues makes things difficult. Looking back, I don't even know how my parents did it. I've dated people of other races, including very long-term, and often have them say they feel uncomfortable in public like people are staring at us. I never seem to notice it, but maybe that is because of growing up in an interracial home. On the flip side, one ex and I received a lot of compliments about what a great looking couple we were.

Even just as another student, cut the person a break... we've all had to overcome something. Why keep putting up barriers for others?
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • jsd
This is disturbing on multiple levels.

However, racial privilege aspects aside, I find it hard to believe that the faculty approved the student to telecommute to the course or lecture without the school providing a means to do so. Heck, all it would have required was have a TA set up a tablet, laptop, or webcam on one of the tables. Relying on other students to provide this seems shortsighted since it relies on them paying attention and being responsible enough to follow through. Not to mention, it empowers other students to determine the fate of the remote student, which in this case, enabled them to use that power to block access.

I assume this deal was made with the school on the premise that the remote student had already gained agreement from one or more students to host the facetime session, but it still seems shortsighted to me.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
guarantee its fake
its just something those two cooked up
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • Sapientes
I'm going with hoax. So far, each time I've seen something like this, it's been fake. Re: Jussie Smollett.

I'm also going to guess that this student didn't make arrangements ahead of time, and that none of the students check their email. Kids these days NEVER use email! I know my kids are like "You sent me an email? Why??? Send me a text, I don't read my email." They check it when I tell them I sent them something, otherwise, never. Not ever. When I have kids I'm helping with CC >> 4yr transfer plans, I ask them for email and most don't even have it. They tell me to send it to their mom.

This is bogus. Hit me back up in a week and we'll have proof. But, it will be hard to find, because the media only likes to report on the first part (the hoax) and then conveniently forgets to report back when it's been proven false.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Sapientes
(02-19-2019, 08:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going with hoax.  So far, each time I've seen something like this, it's been fake. Re: Jussie Smollett.

I'm also going to guess that this student didn't make arrangements ahead of time, and that none of the students check their email.  Kids these days NEVER use email!  I know my kids are like "You sent me an email?  Why???  Send me a text, I don't read my email."  They check it when I tell them I sent them something, otherwise, never.  Not ever.  When I have kids I'm helping with CC >> 4yr transfer plans, I ask them for email and most don't even have it.  They tell me to send it to their mom.

This is bogus.  Hit me back up in a week and we'll have proof.  But, it will be hard to find, because the media only likes to report on the first part (the hoax) and then conveniently forgets to report back when it's been proven false.

I can't say whether or not this happened, but you have to use email when you're in college. The students may or may not have push notifications turned on, but I had classmates in their 20s who did. My undergraduate students at Txstate, who were even younger, checked their emails for the most part. But, this is an MSW program. They aren't kids. 

And, the media almost always reports back when the story is found out to be a hoax unless it's not a national story. If it's not a national story, then it wasn't reported widely in the first place. CNN broke the Jussie Smollett story, and the hoax part has gotten more attention than the original story. 

The Jussie Smollett situation was entirely unbelievable from the beginning. The black student who had the police called on her for sleeping in the common area of her dorm was real.

The Chronicle has more information.

Quote:Mclaurin told The Chronicle that he was “very hurt” by the email. He said he’d previously raised concerns about this student with the school’s administration, “basically to no avail.” Last semester the student said some “blatantly racist things,” said Mclaurin, who declined to identify the student.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/After-...ept/245717

Apparently, racism is an ongoing issue that has been reported multiple times by multiple students.

Quote:The administrators also said that the episode took place in the broader context of “ongoing institutional racism at Silver, especially in classrooms.”

Last year several graduate-student groups wrote a joint letter to administrators, saying that the Silver School remains “a hostile environment for many students, faculty, and staff of color.”
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, ROYISAGIRL
It's always interesting to see how quick people are to write off anything outside of their own personal experience.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • davewill, ROYISAGIRL, sanantone
You beat me to it
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 2 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • jsd, sanantone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,556 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 756 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 600 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  black friday deal Prowritingaid 50% Imbanewbie 7 856 11-25-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,295 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 443 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 723 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 3,998 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 727 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  $347,000 in student debt who can't land a job... bjcheung77 12 1,561 07-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha