Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelor of Liberal Studies and the Area of Focus
Hello,

In 2020 catalog, Excelsior makes it clear that students, in bachelor of liberal studies, can declare an area of focus that will be mentioned in their transcript, given that they have such and such credits in a single discipline.

However, in the latest catalog, they have removed this phrase, and the only concentration that is available in BSLA is Logistics Operations Management!

Does this indicate that you can't declare an area of focus? If yes, why would they do that?!
I think they messed up the catalog! But I would just call and ask.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Holmes
(01-06-2021, 07:36 PM)Holmes Wrote: Hello,

In 2020 catalog, Excelsior makes it clear that students, in bachelor of liberal studies, can declare an area of focus that will be mentioned in their transcript, given that they have such and such credits in a single discipline.

However, in the latest catalog, they have removed this phrase, and the only concentration that is available in BSLA is Logistics Operations Management!

Does this indicate that you can't declare an area of focus? If yes, why would they do that?!
I was wondering the exact same thing because I saw that the verbiage was missing  a couple days ago.  At least they also removed the requirement for 2 depths from the catalog. Please report back when you find out because mine were going for a concentration in Psychology.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(01-07-2021, 12:53 PM)TwinMom Wrote: I was wondering the exact same thing because I saw that the verbiage was missing  a couple days ago.  At least they also removed the requirement for 2 depths from the catalog. Please report back when you find out because mine were going for a concentration in Psychology.

Well, they replied: «We no longer have the option to have an Area of Focus for the Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts degree».
They are making it easier for people so they don't have to focus on any specific area of focus. Before, they required you to take two area of focus and an option for a third. This way, it's like a BS Liberal Arts with no concentration, so you can create your "own" set of courses without limiting it to be a particular subject or two. In other words, it's possible to make this cheaper, easier, faster to finish, and to which ever courses that interest you. At the end of the day, it's still a Liberal Arts degree...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ISKBizz15
This is true. However, for many of us, we need an explicit indication, either in the diploma or in the transcript, that the degree fulfills a certain area or discipline. I can design my own computer science list of courses indeed (that could outclass some of BS of computer science degrees out there), but unless the person who checks my transcript is really knowledgeable, they will not recognize it as such without the explicit "major/concentration" thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Holmes's post:
  • TwinMom
(01-07-2021, 07:36 PM)Holmes Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 12:53 PM)TwinMom Wrote: I was wondering the exact same thing because I saw that the verbiage was missing  a couple days ago.  At least they also removed the requirement for 2 depths from the catalog. Please report back when you find out because mine were going for a concentration in Psychology.

Well, they replied: «We no longer have the option to have an Area of Focus for the Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts degree».

This is strange - because they JUST introduced the AoF.  Previously you had to have 2 depths, but they didn't call the the AoF.  So I'm not sure why they'd introduce something, and then come back and get rid of it before they even implemented it.  So weird.  Also not sure why they'd want to get rid of it at all!  I thought it was an awesome addition to the degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TwinMom
(01-07-2021, 07:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: This is strange - because they JUST introduced the AoF.  Previously you had to have 2 depths, but they didn't call the the AoF.  So I'm not sure why they'd introduce something, and then come back and get rid of it before they even implemented it.  So weird.  Also not sure why they'd want to get rid of it at all!  I thought it was an awesome addition to the degree.

More strange is the only concentration they offer =) . As we all know, Logistics Operations Management is the most requested major of all time.
It is great they are getting rid of the depth requirement. The 12 credits each in two specific disciplines did take some flexibility away. It would have been nice if they had left the Area of Focus in place as a choice. It was nice to get practically any focus you wanted listed on the transcript. For 21 credits(6 upper level), you had a kind of "minor". They have had this practically forever. Why get rid of it know? I never got the point of the concentrations they recently added. Maybe military?
Darryl
BS, Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
AAS, Automotive Technology, Eastern Idaho Technical College
AAS, Aircraft Armament Systems, Community College of the Air Force
[-] The following 1 user Likes dhillbilly's post:
  • TwinMom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,318 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,170 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior Bachelor’s LA jakill2 9 2,417 10-06-2022, 07:13 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Excelsior BS Liberal Arts degree question staxchips1 8 3,310 12-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  Associates Liberal Arts through JST/CLEP/Sophia AUDACITY4U 8 1,984 10-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior Bachelors Liberal Arts or Bus Admin template nilahti2 2 1,274 03-21-2020, 01:31 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  How Close would these Get Me To Bachelors Liberal Arts Degree nilahti2 10 2,108 02-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Difference liberal arts in arts or sciense SweetsugarNL 11 2,162 09-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior Liberal Arts Capstone Ssorck 4 1,679 08-12-2019, 04:58 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant
  Excelsior Bachelor's in Information Technology (general) Worksheet udi 12 3,276 05-01-2019, 05:18 AM
Last Post: udi