Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please review my rough draft of Gen Ed requirements
Hey all, can you check out this degree plan and let me know what you think. If something's screwed up, feel free to change it around. The 8 TECEP's are for the Pay Per Credit Plan.

Also, if someone could please explain how upper and lower level credits work... Is the certain number of UL credits required necessary under your Gen Ed, or is that just mandatory in the area of study?

This is my brother's tentative degree plan for a BA in Art through TESC (stuff in blue print is already finished):

GENERAL ED

A Intellectual and Practical Skills
Eng Comps I & II TECEP
College Math CLEP
Intro to News Reporting TECEP

B. Human Cultures and the Physical & Natural World
Humanities CLEP
Social Sciences & His CLEP
A&I Lit (split)
Science of Nutrition TECEP

C. Personal & Social Responsibility
Ethics in America DSST
Intro to Sociology CLEP
Marriage & Family TECEP

D. Gen Ed Electives
Us His I CLEP
A&I Lit CLEP (split)
Intro to Molecular & Cellular Biology Saylor
PR Thought & Practice TECEP
Environmental Ethics TECEP
Psychology of Women TECEP

FREE ELECTIVES
24 Art Credits from AIS
Princ of Mgmt CLEP
Is AIS the Art Institute of Seattle? If so, they are regionally accredited and offer a BFA, so his courses could count as upper level if they align with an upper-level course at TESC. He could use those for his major instead of relegating them to free electives. List them and we can help you more with that.

Also, the TECEP Environmental Ethics has a reputation for being difficult. He could easily replace that with something else because the 24 TECEP hours will be fulfilled with the 7 other TECEPs plus Capstone.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
No, it's the Art Instruction Schools in Minneapolis (Accreditation | Art Instruction Schools) I don't know if they're UL credit or not...I'll try to get the info for ya.

Do you know, would Ethics in America DSST be a better choice? Thanks...

KayV Wrote:Is AIS the Art Institute of Seattle? If so, they are regionally accredited and offer a BFA, so his courses could count as upper level if they align with an upper-level course at TESC. He could use those for his major instead of relegating them to free electives. List them and we can help you more with that.

Also, the TECEP Environmental Ethics has a reputation for being difficult. He could easily replace that with something else because the 24 TECEP hours will be fulfilled with the 7 other TECEPs plus Capstone.

EDIT: Just to note, we're switching out College Math Clep with Saylor's Beginning Algebra and then just adding an extra course...
Ethics in America was pretty simple. It is more of a philosophy test than an ethics test imho. The specific exam forum has two sets of notes (i think snazzlefrag? is one). These were VERY helpful for me. I haven't done the environmental ethics tecep. The essay portion alone made me decide to do Ethics in America instead. An easy TECEP to substitute is Technical Writing. If you can write business emails, and a business letter as well as understand using basic charts you should be good.

Computer Applications TECEP is also extremely easy. Liberal Arts Math has a reputation for being easy as well.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Does your brother have any other Art credits? It appears that the AIS classes would be counted as lower level, so he would need upper level credits from another source. Either that, or he could switch his major to Humanities or Liberal Studies.

While I'm being overcurious, does he have a career goal, or is he just looking to complete a degree?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
The credits from AIS will not be accepted because TESC does not accept credits from nationally accredited schools. Only four of their courses were reviewed by ACE, and their recommendations for college credit have expired. COSC has an applied arts concentration, but won't accept the AIS credits either. Excelsior might accept some of the credits, but they do not offer an art major.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If the credits were earned prior to July 31, 2014, and were for the Fundamentals of Arts series, your brother should be able to get TESC credit.
ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training

For Excelsior, here is a link to their DETC guidelines.
https://info.excelsior.edu/student-polic...d-schools/
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
KayV Wrote:If the credits were earned prior to July 31, 2014, and were for the Fundamentals of Arts series, your brother should be able to get TESC credit.

Yes, I should have included that. My mistake.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
KayV Wrote:If the credits were earned prior to July 31, 2014, and were for the Fundamentals of Arts series, your brother should be able to get TESC credit.

Wow, you guys are great! Amazingly, he finished the course JUST in time, sometime in May or June of '14, so I'm really happy about that!

' Wrote:Does your brother have any other Art credits? It appears that the AIS classes would be counted as lower level, so he would need upper level credits from another source. Either that, or he could switch his major to Humanities or Liberal Studies.

While I'm being overcurious, does he have a career goal, or is he just looking to complete a degree?

No he doesn't have any other art credits; the tentative plan was to take some of those UL courses from a local college. He's looking to go into graphic design.
I found that NHSU (Online Degree in Graphic Design | Bachelor of Arts | SNHU) offers an online BA in Graphic Design; maybe take some classes through them? They're a little pricey, but just putting mah ducks in a row... Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Universal Gen Ed Requirements rachel83az 2 350 08-16-2023, 10:21 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 354 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia review Pre-WGU gams007 0 619 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Institution or Professor review websites bjcheung77 2 807 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  CPA requirements for uopeople degree Ebukaz 14 2,705 12-24-2021, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Ebukaz
  Application Requirements Inquiry bjcheung77 5 1,066 09-01-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Arkansas State online MPA Review cardiacclep 22 7,019 06-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Foreign Language Requirements zeroglory 5 1,477 02-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  "Last Mile" programs - book review Clepper43 1 993 10-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Math placement test for comprehensive review? MNomadic 4 1,711 12-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Last Post: MNomadic