Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS in Electrical Engeneering
I am just starting my journey with COSC and my husband is getting interested in this process. He has an Associates in Applied Science Electronic Engeneering Technology. He is a union electrician with 20 years of experience.

He would like to attain his Bachelor's in Electrical Engeneering but I have not found a comparable degree.

Need opinions on which college would be better and which degree would be best.
[COLOR="#0000CD"]Jody Thatcher
[/COLOR]

DIYcollegeDegree Website:
http://diycollegedegree.weebly.com/

42 credits transferred from Western Illinois University (1993-1994) - 2.133 GPA

Charter Oak State College - BSBA Individualized 96/120 - 2.68 GPA
Applied 04-17-2015
Enrolled 06-03-2015

In Progress:
UExcel Organizational Behavior

Completed in 2016:
DSST - Management Information Systems 443, Business Ethics & Society 414, Substance Abuse 423
Straighterline - American Government 87%, Intro to Business 86%, Personal Finance 89%, Business Communication

Completed in 2015:
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Aleks - Business Statistics 71%
Penn Foster - Financial Management 97%
Straighterline - Macroeconomics 92%, Microeconomics 91%, Financial Accounting 83%, Managerial Accounting 80%, Business Law 81%, Principles of Management 89%, Intro to Religion 84%
Saylor - Principles of Marketing 78%
Excelsior would be the closest out of the Big 3 for an Electrical Engineering degree, they offer several different variations. Also take a look at TESC and their offerings and American Public University and their offering. I've noticed all are very different programs, and I'm not sure what would meet your husbands needs the most.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
It's a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology not electrical engineering which is more theoretical and entails advanced calculus, physics, etc. Depends on what he wants to do. Typically engineering and health field related programs are better suited in person since it's harder to do these types of degrees on your own. Excelsior's tuition rates are through the roof at $490/hour. See these threads: Excelsior College - BS in Electronics Engineer Tech

Electrician trying to be an EE - College Confidential

Online Electrical Engineering Degree ASU Online Degrees

Best Online Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering - 2014's Best

Also, be sure the program is ABET accredited as well.
There is a big difference between a full EE degree and EET. Academically it's only a few math and science classes, but a real EE can carry a bit more weight. This will most evident by your husbands choice of perusing a professional engineer (PE) NCEES: PE exam. How this really gets affected is if your school is ABET accredited. Very few online EE or EET degrees have this. Some states require an ABET based degree to even take the PE.
ABET - Online Programs

So excelsior is an EET degree that is ABET recognized, part of the big 3 and probably the easiest to work with in this capacity. TESC only has Nuclear Engineering Tech available with ABET.
Here in VA old dominion has several ABET ET Degrees that allow us to take the PE exams, but out of state tuition is not cheap.

Real ABET EE's are available at North Dakota Univ Electrical Engineering | Degrees | Online Distance | Extended Learning | Academics | UND: University of North Dakota
But it $500 a credit hour in state and up to $900 an hour out of state, Arizona State Univ also has an EE, but similar costs.

The AMU EE mentioned is not "YET" an ABET program, for this to occur, AMU must graduate one or two classes of students via the ABET based curriculum to be then be evaluated for accreditation. So it takes someone like me who lives in a state that does not require ABET to take the PE test, who are willing to participate first. However I was told its not available to students in Virginia. Yea!

Best of luck.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
Decades ago, Grantham School of Electrical Engineering offered a B.S.E.E. degree via correspondence. It was actually a decent school. To be admitted, students had to have a bunch of core credits to transfer from a brick and mortar school. The school morphed into an online school that does not appear to be regionally accredited. In other words, proceed with extreme caution. They offer a B.S.E.T. degree: Electronics Engineering Bachelor Degree | Grantham.edu

Electronic Technology and Electrical Engineering are two different fields. Being an electrical engineer is quite a different job from that of being an electrician. There's a lot of advanced math and physics in electrical engineering. There are some rather advanced certifications that electricians can get. If an electrician can't pass these exams that deal with principles of physics and using advanced math, pursuing a B.S.E.E. might not be a good idea. Electricians, please jump in and correct what I've typed. I looked into electrician training and certification once upon a time and discovered some rather advanced sample questions.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Electrical engineering technologists aren't electricians either. You have engineers, engineering technologists, and engineering technicians of various engineering fields. These are different levels of the same type of job kind of like going from being an LVN to an RN to an NP. Being an electrician is completely different and has its own levels of licensure.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I am an electrician who looked into BSEE at one time. In my opinion, his best bet is to work on Calculus I, II & II, Differential Equations, and Calculus based physics before worrying too much about where to pursue his bachelor's degree. His ASEET is useless when it comes to transfer credits for a BSEE. As far as I know there are only two ABET online BSEE degrees and both are extremely expensive; Arizona State University and University of North Dakota. He should avoid non-ABET degree programs like the plague.
clep3705 Wrote:Decades ago, Grantham School of Electrical Engineering offered a B.S.E.E. degree via correspondence. It was actually a decent school. To be admitted, students had to have a bunch of core credits to transfer from a brick and mortar school. The school morphed into an online school that does not appear to be regionally accredited. In other words, proceed with extreme caution. They offer a B.S.E.T. degree: Electronics Engineering Bachelor Degree | Grantham.edu

I have 11 credits from Grantham that aren't worth the paper they written on. Exclesior rejected their credits because they are nationally accredited and haven't bothered to go through ACE. As a former student, I would encourage others to avoid Grantham.
Thanks everyone for the great info, I have passed it along to the hubby!
[COLOR="#0000CD"]Jody Thatcher
[/COLOR]

DIYcollegeDegree Website:
http://diycollegedegree.weebly.com/

42 credits transferred from Western Illinois University (1993-1994) - 2.133 GPA

Charter Oak State College - BSBA Individualized 96/120 - 2.68 GPA
Applied 04-17-2015
Enrolled 06-03-2015

In Progress:
UExcel Organizational Behavior

Completed in 2016:
DSST - Management Information Systems 443, Business Ethics & Society 414, Substance Abuse 423
Straighterline - American Government 87%, Intro to Business 86%, Personal Finance 89%, Business Communication

Completed in 2015:
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Aleks - Business Statistics 71%
Penn Foster - Financial Management 97%
Straighterline - Macroeconomics 92%, Microeconomics 91%, Financial Accounting 83%, Managerial Accounting 80%, Business Law 81%, Principles of Management 89%, Intro to Religion 84%
Saylor - Principles of Marketing 78%

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APU Has Announced a BS in Electrical Engineering UptonSinclair 14 4,684 01-02-2021, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Grinddude
  Looking for a Online degree, BS Electrical Engineering Bostonian 5 1,926 04-27-2019, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Bostonian
  Interested in an Electrical Engineering plan. Gilaskoram 11 2,103 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Prloko