Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLS with a minor in Information Systems or BBA PM & IS
The Metropolia program is a degree. The "Degree Programme of Information Technology path" is 180 ECTS for 579€. This "programmme" is the first 3/4th of a degree. It is pass/fail and essentially CBE. You are allowed to finish 3 years of a 4-year degree in just a few months, assuming you have the ability to do so. The final year of the IT degree must be done on a non-CBE basis. It should be free for EU/EEA permanent residents & citizens. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Me...d_Sciences for more details.

Aside from their own classes, Metropolia is a standard university. It is in Finland and does not (to the best of my knowledge) accept Sophia, Study.com, etc. But it's less than 1000€ and should take under 2 years for a European citizen.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-18-2024, 09:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The Metropolia program is a degree. The "Degree Programme of Information Technology path" is 180 ECTS for 579€. This "programmme" is the first 3/4th of a degree. It is pass/fail and essentially CBE. You are allowed to finish 3 years of a 4-year degree in just a few months, assuming you have the ability to do so. The final year of the IT degree must be done on a non-CBE basis. It should be free for EU/EEA permanent residents & citizens. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Me...d_Sciences for more details.

Aside from their own classes, Metropolia is a standard university. It is in Finland and does not (to the best of my knowledge) accept Sophia, Study.com, etc. But it's less than 1000€ and should take under 2 years for a European citizen.

Thank you for the clarification info rachel83az!

I think I will definitely go with Metropolia as I am an EU citizen.

I didn't fully understand the How's and Where's etc, about Metropolia.

I can't believe this option exist right in my backyard as I am not too far from Finland.

It will also help me financially!

By chance are there more infomation about Mtropolia suggested curriculum? I am still getting use to this forum.
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information about Metropolia available. Most of what there is is on the wiki. You can search the forum here for Metropolia to see what others have said about the courses they've completed there. But Finland recently changed policies to make it more difficult/impossible for non-EU/EEA citizens to attend their universities at all. Which is unfortunate, but at least it's still a good deal for EU students!
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ZO10
That's right, do the Metropolia first, if you need to get something different down the road, work on those after Metropolia IT classes has been completed. Even if it's within your backyard, sometimes it's not really known until you actively search for things... It's better now than later, as they may implement even more stringent rules and regulations for EU/EHEA students...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ZO10
I have reserved an online meeting with the Metropolia admission team member -->Employee: Oravuo Saara.for this Friday.

If you want me to ask certain questions to help broaden the Metropolia Wiki section, please let me know by replying and I will ask them during our admission meeting.

am very greatful to have found DegreeForum and the wonderful members and moderators on the platform.

I will keep you updated about the meeting.

(03-18-2024, 03:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information about Metropolia available. Most of what there is is on the wiki. You can search the forum here for Metropolia to see what others have said about the courses they've completed there. But Finland recently changed policies to make it more difficult/impossible for non-EU/EEA citizens to attend their universities at all. Which is unfortunate, but at least it's still a good deal for EU students!

I know the feeling becaue that's exactly how I felt about WGU which has the best IT program imo.

Hopefully there will be more schools catering to adults bot locally and internationally in most countries in the near future.

(03-18-2024, 03:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's right, do the Metropolia first, if you need to get something different down the road, work on those after Metropolia IT classes has been completed.  Even if it's within your backyard, sometimes it's not really known until you actively search for things... It's better now than later, as they may implement even more stringent rules and regulations for EU/EHEA students...

Metropolia is confusing and not clear on their dealings.

1- Monday I scheduled an online meeting for today with admission and I received no links for the meeting, no one has reached out to me about the meeting. The time for the meeting has passed and I haven't met with anyone. 

2- Meanwhile I was able to sign up and appplied for the Metropolia Open UAS online path Degree Programme of Information Technology, path 180 ECTS and was accepted. I receieved a welcome email with details and many different confusing links about the program and different platforms for the program courses.
 The problemis that in order to use the various platform I need a User ID which no one has assigned me.

3- I emailed 4 different people plus HelpDesk about acquiring my User ID and no one has responded to me as of now (it's been 2 days).

4- I received a generic "No Reply" email stating that I need to activate my User ID, but never received one.
Part of the email said:
"If you completed a strong identification when enrolling, you can activate your user ID online using your online banking codes or Mobile ID. See the instructions for activating your user ID. If you did not complete a strong identification when enrolling, you must visit a service point of Metropolia's Student and Admission Services and present an identification document in order to receive your user ID."

Since I did not complete the Identificaion during enrollement (because I am not Finnish, I had a skip option) according to the email,  "I must visit a service point of Metropolia's Student and Admission Services and present an identification document in order to receive your user ID." 

The problem is that I am not able to go to Finland due to my traveling.
So I sent an email to the Admission Service email address that they have on their website and they responded as follow:
"Thank you for your email!

There is a delay in replying to emails. We will answer all the emails on a first-come-first-answered basis as soon as possible. All emails will be answered so please do not send the same email twice or more.

Wishing you a nice day!
Metropolia Admission Services"

Metropolia's website is like a maze and not clear on many subjects, especially the User ID part.

UMPI seem to be morre simple and user friendly. Plus UMPI employees have responded to all of my email inquiries from the admission department to the Student Financial Services Department.

I will wait until tomorrow or Monday to see if Metropolia will respond.
Metropolia has been pretty quick to respond in the past. They may still be overwhelmed dealing with the recent changes to Finnish law.

As far as I'm aware, anyone can get a Finnish SSN at any time; you don't need to be a (permanent) resident. All the law does is make things more difficult for students. And the universities they attend.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(03-21-2024, 01:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Metropolia has been pretty quick to respond in the past. They may still be overwhelmed dealing with the recent changes to Finnish law.

As far as I'm aware, anyone can get a Finnish SSN at any time; you don't need to be a (permanent) resident. All the law does is make things more difficult for students. And the universities they attend.

Why can't Metropolia automatically grant a User ID to online students especially to those seeking the degree path?

I think I might stick with UMPI.

Granted UMPI is double the price, but at least I can focus on getting the degree without the extra stress and hassle concerning account setup etc...
I don't know why Metropolia can't. Legal reasons? UMPI has had its own periods of frustration for students. Especially at the beginning/end of sessions. Because of the influx of new students at these times, getting an answer from them can be a major hassle.

I'm not saying this to badmouth UMPI. But one should be aware that every university has its own drawbacks.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Darknigh7
Do what you feel like would be best, I think UMPI BLS MIS is a great option, you can take 60 credits of anything you want for electives, it can be from Coursera/Sophia.org ACE credits that deal with IT/PM related subjects.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 118 Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 233 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 329 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  need advice on YourPace BBA Project Mgmt and Info Systems EducationSeeker 4 188 04-19-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is a Criminal Justice Minor Possible? Marlin9276 3 199 04-13-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 419 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 331 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Educational Studies Minor Adrian245 11 1,755 03-26-2024, 11:58 PM
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 399 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  Completed! BAS Minor in Info Systems & Project Management mohelena02 4 516 02-25-2024, 07:14 PM