Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test
Recently I began thinking about careers that many of us might be preparing for unknowenlly. One of those careers the with the United States State Department as a Foreign Service Officer. It requires one to take the FSOL and score well before being allowed to move further into the selection process. I personally have never taken the test but from what I have been reading it is very social science-based, and that is something most of us do here when trying to get our BALS and electives done.

Here is a list of areas recommended to know when taking the test to do well. This is very similar to SOPHIA classes to be honest with a few DSST mixed in.

• English Composition/Rhetoric • American History • American Studies (including cultural and social history) • American Political Thought • United States Political System • American Economic History • Introduction to Economics (micro and macro) • World History (Western and non-Western) • World Geography • International Economics • World Religions • Introduction to Statistics • Introduction to Management Principles • Intercultural Communication • Mass Communication • Psychology

Has anyone ever taken this test, and If so what do they think about what allot of us knowledge junkies do here as being prep for this kind of career.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
I took and passed the exam many years ago. I wouldn't say that it is broadly social science-based. It's political science-based mixed with some humanities. More specifically, it covers international relations, which is a sub-field of political science. Someone with a background in political science (internationally-focused), international relations, world history, world geography, cultural anthropology, journalism, or security studies should do well on it. Also, anyone who pays attention to current events should do well. The rest is mostly common knowledge from high school. I don't think the behavioral sciences are as helpful for this test.

To me, the personal narrative is the most difficult part to pass if you don't come from a white collar background. At that time, I was in my mid-20s and not a white collar worker, and the questions about work and volunteer experiences did not align with the work I had done.

Note: The test could have been refreshed since I've taken it.

I took this test while waiting for the conferral of my BA in Social Science, so I took the exam before starting on my BSBA in CIS and my master's in security studies. I mostly relied upon my knowledge from daily viewing of cable news and reading the newspaper.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-24-2022, 03:34 PM)sanantone Wrote: I took and passed the exam many years ago. I wouldn't say that it is broadly social science-based. It's political science-based mixed with some humanities. More specifically, it covers international relations, which is a sub-field of political science. Someone with a background in political science (internationally-focused), international relations, world history, world geography, cultural anthropology, journalism, or security studies should do well on it. Also, anyone who pays attention to current events should do well. The rest is mostly common knowledge from high school. I don't think the behavioral sciences are as helpful for this test.

To me, the personal narrative is the most difficult part to pass if you don't come from a white collar background. At that time, I was in my mid-20s and not a white collar worker, and the questions about work and volunteer experiences did not align with the work I had done.

Note: The test could have been refreshed since I've taken it.

I took this test while waiting for the conferral of my BA in Social Science, so I took the exam before starting on my BSBA in CIS and my master's in security studies. I mostly relied upon my knowledge from daily viewing of cable news and reading the newspaper.

This is great feedback, and helpful to people considering the field of work.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,947 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Test score rogeryoung 4 223 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 711 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 297 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 683 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 210 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 608 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 539 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 295 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 898 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden