Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Investigation Finds That Millions of Students Are Taking on Dangerous BNPL Debt
Millions of student-loan borrowers are being driven toward 'dangerous' BNPL debt for a for-profit education, investigation finds
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersa...ar-AAUyG8r

What do you all think about these types of loans?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
All I can say is that it’s crazy! I went to one of the lowest cost state schools. (We didn’t have community colleges anywhere near us). It took me about 20 years just to pay that off. I can’t imagine what it would be like if I had taken out a bigger loan. I didn’t choose a high paying career path.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
"Buy Now, Pay Later" is exactly what most "slick deals" members do... haha, because it's easy to just charge it on a credit card (or a portion of it for tuition and such). It's really interesting how people don't priority what is really needed in their spending before they spend money on things they can't afford. I would get people to stick with the public/state college system first before jumping into any expensive private colleges or whatever... they really need to have a budget/job and savings planned out all beforehand.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-07-2022, 06:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: "Buy Now, Pay Later" is exactly what most "slick deals" members do... haha, because it's easy to just charge it on a credit card (or a portion of it for tuition and such).  It's really interesting how people don't priority what is really needed in their spending before they spend money on things they can't afford.  I would get people to stick with the public/state college system first before jumping into any expensive private colleges or whatever... they really need to have a budget/job and savings planned out all beforehand.

That sounds great but everyone doesn't live anywhere near a state college. State colleges aren't always cheaper than private schools either. Our state system charges a ton of fees on top of tuition. The closest state college campus to me is about an hour and a half away in good weather. That's not a realistic commute for anyone. Many for profit schools have lots of campuses or a lot of online programs. Quite often they have far more online programs than many state colleges.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
The closest state school to me was Arizona State University. There is also University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University. None of these are cheap options. Very good schools, not cheap. It probably would've been cheaper for me to attend a mid-tier private school in another state instead of an Arizona school.

At one point, I seriously considered teaching for a few years (I forget the required minimum) because there is (or was) a program to pay off/forgive student loans for students who commit to teaching in disadvantaged school districts for a certain number of years. I think it's either 3 or 5 years. If you play your cards right, it's a good way to get an expensive degree for essentially nothing. When I looked, I think there was further incentive if you got a STEM degree in something like, Math or Computer Science, instead of a Humanities degree, like History or English.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,236 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Shocked Online Course Provider 2U (edX) Faces Doubts It Can Continue ($900 Million in debt) Ares 3 436 02-16-2024, 02:51 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 547 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 304 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Grand Canyon Uni: 86K online students, over 960 Million in revenue. bjcheung77 1 487 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Two 16 year old students are recognized... bjcheung77 0 376 05-14-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Over $600K student debt - Combined balance (with ex-hubby) bjcheung77 1 393 05-08-2023, 08:50 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,177 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  There's a quicker, cheaper way to go to college, but fewer students are trying it davewill 7 1,033 03-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 489 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP