Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I ready for my CLEP tests?
It doesn't seem like I spent enough time studying, but, my Peterson test scores are as follows on first attempt

Principles of Management - Took the final test for the Clep prep on Study.com and got an 88%, so just did instantcert flashcards. (I did spend a few years in retail management.)
 88%, 79% - have not taken test 3

Principles of Marketing
70% on test 3 - other two tests were taken before I studied flash cards and were in the high 50's and low 60's, but can't remember exactly. I took a couple tests and then realized I'd better study..lol 

Principles of Macroeconomics
70% for first test , 79% on test 2

Otherwise, am I likely ready?
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(01-25-2019, 06:31 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: It doesn't seem like I spent enough time studying, but, my Peterson test scores are as follows on first attempt

Principles of Management - Took the final test for the Clep prep on Study.com and got an 88%, so just did instantcert flashcards. (I did spend a few years in retail management.)

Principles of Marketing
70% on test 3 - other two tests were taken before I studied flash cards and were in the high 50's and low 60's, but can't remember exactly. I took a couple tests and then realized I'd better study..lol 

70% for first test - will take remaining two tonight. I have gone through instantcert flashcards, study.com's entire Macroeconomic course and used Khan academy for a couple concepts that confused me. 

Obviously, plan may change for Macroeconomics if my next two tests are low 60's. 

You're the only one who can answer that question. Do you feel confident that you'll pass? Using the IC flashcards and Peterson practice exams is a great gauge. I usually recommend the REA exams as well. But it really comes down to how confident are you in your knowledge of the material and what is your level of risk tolerance?

Remember that the study material will cover aspects of each topic but will not cover the specific questions on the exam. So (aside from formulas–like in economics) it is less about memorizing and more about having a strong understanding of the concepts.

Personally, I wouldn't sit for an exam unless I was consistently scoring at least 80-90% on the practice exams and had the flashcards committed to memory. But I had a low risk-tolerance since I was paying for the exams out of pocket and had to travel an hour each way to the test center and needed to book my appointments a month in advance. So retaking a test was not something I was comfortable with. I always assume that the practice tests have at least a 20% margin of error when compared to the real test.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-25-2019, 06:31 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: It doesn't seem like I spent enough time studying, but, my Peterson test scores are as follows on first attempt

Principles of Marketing

Honestly, those are decent enough peterson's scores that I'd probably pull the trigger in your shoes, and my previous CLEP scores aren't as high as yours.
It's always possible that they're asking you things you know which can skew a little- but I don't think I've ever gotten a practice test score in the 70's, so I'm pretty impressed.
(01-25-2019, 07:40 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Principles of Marketing

70% for first test - will take remaining two tonight. I have gone through instantcert flashcards, study.com's entire Macroeconomic course and used Khan academy for a couple concepts that confused me. 

Obviously, plan may change for Macroeconomics if my next two tests are low 60's. 

You're the only one who can answer that question. Do you feel confident that you'll pass? Using the IC flashcards and Peterson practice exams is a great gauge. I usually recommend the REA exams as well. But it really comes down to how confident are you in your knowledge of the material and what is your level of risk tolerance?

Remember that the study material will cover aspects of each topic but will not cover the specific questions on the exam. So (aside from formulas–like in economics) it is less about memorizing and more about having a strong understanding of the concepts.

Personally, I wouldn't sit for an exam unless I was consistently scoring at least 80-90% on the practice exams and had the flashcards committed to memory. But I had a low risk-tolerance since I was paying for the exams out of pocket and had to travel an hour each way to the test center and needed to book my appointments a month in advance. So retaking a test was not something I was comfortable with. I always assume that the practice tests have at least a 20% margin of error when compared to the real test.

The one I'm concerned about is Marketing. I have a parent/teacher subscription to Study.com, so I took the Clep Marketing final test on that site first and knew most of it and knew most of the Instantcert cards. But, my initial scores on Peterson's for that were not great for the first two tests, so I went back and worked through Instantcert until I had that at 100% and Study.com at 100%, but, that's still not enough to score more than a 70% on the Peterson's practice test which seems odd to me especially since it seems like that one is considered to be an easy test.

(01-25-2019, 09:57 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Principles of Marketing

Honestly, those are decent enough peterson's scores that I'd probably pull the trigger in your shoes, and my previous CLEP scores aren't as high as yours.  
It's always possible that they're asking you things you know which can skew a little- but I don't think I've ever gotten a practice test score in the 70's, so I'm pretty impressed.

Large portions of the marketing and management portions are intuitive or familiar from my old retail management background. Macroeconomics I have put a TON of work into. For macroeconomics I've gone through the instantcert cards several times, the entire CLEP macroeconomics study.com course, the ACDC review with packet and Khan Academy videos and practice problems for a couple of the various curves. I definitely had a bit of an issue understanding it at first. Really hoping all my work in macroeconomics will be of some use for microeconomics. 

I am always concerned that I just got lucky and they happened to ask me what I knew and that the test will just be all the things I didn't know... lol 

I'm going to at least take management tomorrow and go from there. My daydream is that I knock out those three tomorrow and that next week I take business law and microeconomics and then I think I'm finished with CLEP.
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
(01-25-2019, 10:01 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: The one I'm concerned about is Marketing. I have a parent/teacher subscription to Study.com, so I took the Clep Marketing final test on that site first and knew most of it and knew most of the Instantcert cards. But, my initial scores on Peterson's for that were not great for the first two tests, so I went back and worked through Instantcert until I had that at 100% and Study.com at 100%, but, that's still not enough to score more than a 70% on the Peterson's practice test which seems odd to me especially since it seems like that one is considered to be an easy test.

I took the Marketing CLEP like 7-8 years ago, so I'm sure its changed since then, but I recall going into the test feeling like I was going to pass, but I wasn't confident that I'd score high. Once I sat the exam I was happy to see that I'd effectively earned an A on the test (76/80 or 95%). The final result will depend on what subject areas are actually tested and which ones you grasped the best.

However, this is also why I suggest using the REA guide and practice exams as well as the Peterson ones. They use different approaches and different questions which will provide additional study material for you to examine. Just be sure to review any questions you got wrong and study those areas extra hard before sitting for the exam.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Did alright, passed all three this morning.
Principles of management, 68
Principles of marketing, 73
Principles of macroeconomics, 70

Relieved to have another group finished. Smile
Sophia(2 credits)
[-] The following 2 users Like Jenniferinfl's post:
  • Merlin, morethancjsmom
(01-26-2019, 11:54 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Did alright, passed all three this morning.

Nice! High scores too!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Congrats! Nice work
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Awesome job!

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(01-26-2019, 11:54 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Did alright, passed all three this morning.

Okay, so you're kidding right- you did "alright?"
You KILLED THEM!!! WOW congratulations!!!!
Also, did you really take THREE exams in one day?? You're my hero!

Nice Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Free access to job ready Coursera certs cardiacclep 22 3,925 06-28-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: sayazop
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,265 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone Do IQ Tests or a Part of an IQ Society? dewisant 9 914 05-13-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,622 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Looking for EQ & IQ Tests online: Anyone? bjcheung77 6 955 10-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,208 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az