Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost there.... Need ideas
So I am trying to wrap up my TESU Liberal Studies BA. I am currently taking their COM 330 Interpersonal Communications, and HEA 306 Men's Health. Over the holidays I spoke to a rep from the military/veteran program counselor, and he said that I needed 6 more gen education credits to meet my graduation requirements from the C. Knowledge of Human Cultures (Humanities and Social Sciences) or D. Scientific Knowledge classes. He also told me that I would need to take an additional class to meet the TECU residency requirement. 

I want to graduate in June, and there is no way that I can take a course load of 3 classes (with an overlap to meet their timeline) while working full-time.

I am considering just doing CLEP or DSST for a total of 6 credits, and then paying the waiver fee. 

I went through the previously posts about the easiest/quickest CLEP/DSST using IC, but the majority of the posts are a bit outdated. Is there a better way to get 6 GE credits than taking Western Civ I&II or History of the US I&II?  I also thought about DSST Fundamentals of Counseling and Intro to Geography as potential solutions. 

Open to ideas, and suggestions. Time is the priority over other factors. 

TIA!!
for military TECEPs count toward residency credits. "All Thomas Edison State University earned credit satisfies the military credit requirement, including Guided Study/Online/Blended/e-Pack courses, TECEP exams and/or Portfolio Assessment."
https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/faqs-cre...-residency

maybe there are TECEP exams that fit the need? Here's link showing which TECEP work for gen ed https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/e...cep-credit
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(01-16-2023, 06:39 PM)P226mem Wrote: for military TECEPs count toward residency credits.  "All Thomas Edison State University earned credit satisfies the military credit requirement, including Guided Study/Online/Blended/e-Pack courses, TECEP exams and/or Portfolio Assessment."

maybe there are TECEP exams that fit the need? Here's link showing which TECEP work for gen ed https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/e...cep-credit

Thanks, yes TECEPs would count, but I would still need to study and take 3 instead of just taking 2 tests and paying a waiver fee.
Without knowing what you have, it's hard to say. But if there are Sophia credits that would work, those would probably be the fastest/easiest.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-16-2023, 06:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Without knowing what you have, it's hard to say. But if there are Sophia credits that would work, those would probably be the fastest/easiest.

I've taken the following out of my GE credit areas: LIS2002, IDS2932, IDS2933, IDS2936, L200, H100, H200, HEA306, GOG280, GLY2040, COM330

I need 6 more credits. 

I have never used sophia before.
(01-16-2023, 06:49 PM)Never2Late2Educate Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 06:39 PM)P226mem Wrote: for military TECEPs count toward residency credits.  "All Thomas Edison State University earned credit satisfies the military credit requirement, including Guided Study/Online/Blended/e-Pack courses, TECEP exams and/or Portfolio Assessment."

Thanks, yes TECEPs would count, but I would still need to study and take 3 instead of just taking 2 tests and paying a waiver fee.
There are a few TECEPs that require very little studying that would work if they aren't duplicating credits you have.
Technical writing counts as humanities and unless it's changed a lot, several people reported taking it with zero studying and doing well. I spent maybe 2-3 hours skimming a PDF of one of the suggested texts just because not studying would make me too anxious ?
(01-16-2023, 07:14 PM)Sparklette Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 06:49 PM)Never2Late2Educate Wrote:

There are a few TECEPs that require very little studying that would work if they aren't duplicating credits you have.
Technical writing counts as humanities and unless it's changed a lot, several people reported taking it with zero studying and doing well. I spent maybe 2-3 hours skimming a PDF of one of the suggested texts just because not studying would make me too anxious ?

I will check out the technical writing. Thank you
(01-16-2023, 06:29 PM)Never2Late2Educate Wrote: So I am trying to wrap up my TESU Liberal Studies BA. I am currently taking their COM 330 Interpersonal Communications, and HEA 306 Men's Health. Over the holidays I spoke to a rep from the military/veteran program counselor, and he said that I needed 6 more gen education credits to meet my graduation requirements from the C. Knowledge of Human Cultures (Humanities and Social Sciences) or D. Scientific Knowledge classes. He also told me that I would need to take an additional class to meet the TECU residency requirement. 

I want to graduate in June, and there is no way that I can take a course load of 3 classes (with an overlap to meet their timeline) while working full-time.

I am considering just doing CLEP or DSST for a total of 6 credits, and then paying the waiver fee. 

I went through the previously posts about the easiest/quickest CLEP/DSST using IC, but the majority of the posts are a bit outdated. Is there a better way to get 6 GE credits than taking Western Civ I&II or History of the US I&II?  I also thought about DSST Fundamentals of Counseling and Intro to Geography as potential solutions. 

TIA!!

I found DSST Technical Writing to be the easiest credit by exam I took out of nearly 20, with DSST Substance abuse being a close second & CLEP Sociology a close third. I believe all of those would count. I used Petersons test prep to study for those three and passed them all first try. I studied zero for technical writing, about 10 hours for substance abuse, and maybe 25 for sociology. 

A little harder but doable was CLEP Macroeconomics. Its hard to say without knowing what you already have, but these were my easiest victories. Congrats on being so close to the finish line!!
DSST
Substance Abuse 470, Fundamentals of Counseling 466, General Anthropology 445, Foundations of Education 424, Technical Writing 450
CLEP
Human Growth & Development 58, Intro to Educational Psychology 66, College Composition 66, College Composition Modular 65, Intro to Sociology 64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 50, American Government 55, College Algebra 63, Macroeconomics 52, Biology 55
SDC 
Ethics in the Social science, Statistics, Cognitive Psychology, Research methods, Personality Theory, History & Systems of Psychology, Ethics in America, History of the US II
CooperSmith
Abnormal Psychology, Physiological Psychology
UExcel
Psychology of Adulthood & Aging, Social Psychology
[-] The following 2 users Like Amberlinjeanne's post:
  • Never2Late2Educate, origamishuttle
I've read here that the Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics TECEP is pretty easy/basic as well.  Maybe the wiki has a page on TECEP difficulty ratings? Maybe if you listed the credits you have people here could advise based not only on your need, but based on similar topics that you've already studied.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Never2Late2Educate
(01-17-2023, 04:21 PM)Amberlinjeanne Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 06:29 PM)Never2Late2Educate Wrote: So I am trying to wrap up my TESU Liberal Studies BA. I am currently taking their COM 330 Interpersonal Communications, and HEA 306 Men's Health. Over the holidays I spoke to a rep from the military/veteran program counselor, and he said that I needed 6 more gen education credits to meet my graduation requirements from the C. Knowledge of Human Cultures (Humanities and Social Sciences) or D. Scientific Knowledge classes. He also told me that I would need to take an additional class to meet the TECU residency requirement. 

TIA!!

I found DSST Technical Writing to be the easiest credit by exam I took out of nearly 20, with DSST Substance abuse being a close second & CLEP Sociology a close third. I believe all of those would count. I used Petersons test prep to study for those three and passed them all first try. I studied zero for technical writing, about 10 hours for substance abuse, and maybe 25 for sociology. 

A little harder but doable was CLEP Macroeconomics. Its hard to say without knowing what you already have, but these were my easiest victories. Congrats on being so close to the finish line!!

Thanks! I will check them out. Unfortunately I already have the soc class completed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA-GM TECEP and UL questions - better ideas? ScForum 7 1,398 11-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Last Post: ScForum