Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost Done! Need Advice to Finish Fast
Hello!

I cannot thank everyone on here enough! I started Dec 2019 with only 24 credits and I now have over 118 credits.  I NEVER thought I would get my degree.  I am 50 years old and this has hung over my head my whole life; this website has changed my life! 

BUT - now I need to figure out how to finish this all up.  I would like to get a Bachelors in Business - Management or something that I can use for general business. Here is a list of the courses I have taken or am taking:

COMPLETED
CLEP –  Human Growth&Development /Intro to Business Law/ Intro to Sociology/ Western Civilization I/ Western Civilization II/ Information Systems/Principles of Marketing/ Intro to Psychology/Principles of Management

Sophia – Approaches to Studying Religions/Art History I/ Art History II/ College Algebra/ Conflict Resolution/ Developing Effective Teams/ English Comp I/Environmental Science/ Essentials of Managing Conflict/ Foundations of Statistics/ Intro to Business/ Intro to Ethics/ Macroeconomics/ Microeconomics/ Project Management,/Public Speaking/ US History I/ US History II/ Visual Communications

The Institutes:  Ethics and the Code of Professional Conduct Completed

TEEX:  Cyber Ethics TEEX-0278/Cyber Incident Analysis&Response TEEX-0284/Cyber Law&White Collar Crime TEEX-0284/ Disaster Recovery for Information Systems TEEX-0285/Information Risk Management TEEX-0286/Information Security for Everyone TEEX-0279

UNLV: PSY101 General Psych/ PSY432 Abnormal Psychology/HIS107 History of WWII/PE233 Tennis/ BUS101 Intro to Business
Ecole Hotelier Lausanne, Switzerland: HOA 245 Hotel Culinary Mgt/ Special Topics in Hotel Management HOA376/ Special Topics in Hotel Management European Cuisine HOA 366 (I can pull the Swiss credits through UNLV as it was an exchange)

In progress: 
Straighter Line:  BIO101 Intro to Biology with Lab,/ENG102 English Composition II/ Organizational Behavior,/Business Statistics

I recently turned in all of my transcripts to COSC for a Bachelors in Business Admin. I am not married to COSC - it just seemed like a good place to start. Plus you get a 10% discount on tuition if you take 4 StraighterLine courses (which I am finishing up right now). COSC is telling me I can only transfer 90 credits and they will only let me take 2 courses at a time right now.  This is not what I want because I can and have taken many more than 2 courses at a time successfully (as shown by the 93 credits I finished in 11 months.)

If I can get done by Jan 2021, I will qualify for a position that pays triple what I make right now (the only reason my company has not promoted me before is the degree - the hedge fund I work for requires a degree for upper level mgt no matter how much they want you or how many years experience you have - they are begging me to finish)  

I have attached a list of what COSC gave me credit for - can anyone give me advice on how to finish QUICK -I am open to other colleges/ test out or alternative credit... anything and everything just to be DONE! You guys are all AMAZING!  Thank you in advance for any help! I really appreciate you!

Attached Files
.docx   COSC BSBA DEGREE.docx (Size: 146.44 KB / Downloads: 17)
Hey there, just wondering.  Does your hedge fund provide Tuition Assistance or Reimbursement for taking courses?  Either way, have you applied/sent your transcripts to Excelsior or TESU?  TESU requires only 15 UL credits vs COSC and Excelsior requiring 30 UL.  You will need to take at least 6 credits at COSC and TESU, 7 credits at Excelsior as they have an Info Lit course that's required...  

Another thing to note, if you continue with COSC, you need UL that are ACE recommended for credit as they've dropped most of the NCCRS providers we recommend.  So that means, it's going to be harder and more expensive finding the courses required at COSC, your best bet for Upper Level right now is with Study.com, here is their link: https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Excelsior can be hard to fill ULs for these days. But it's worth applying just to see what, if any, ULs they give you. I definitely suggest TESU, at the very least, to see how close you are to being done. TESU lets you take the capstone and cornerstone simultaneously while COSC does not. It'll take you longer with COSC (at least 2x as long).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Lydclrk
(10-24-2020, 04:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Excelsior can be hard to fill ULs for these days. But it's worth applying just to see what, if any, ULs they give you. I definitely suggest TESU, at the very least, to see how close you are to being done. TESU lets you take the capstone and cornerstone simultaneously while COSC does not. It'll take you longer with COSC (at least 2x as long).

For what it's worth, I got 18 of my EC UL credits from Coopersmith and 6 from Davar, including MAN310 Organizational Behavior, which to my surprise came in as a Gen Ed (Social Science/History).  I'd consider that course ($79 total cost for 4 UL GE credits, or two courses for $99) and Coopersmith SPY-310 Foundations of Stress Management ($149 and a 50-question multiple choice exam) as the best overall values in my degree plan for UL credit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ctcarl's post:
  • Lydclrk
Doesn't COSC have a RA credit requirement?
(10-24-2020, 04:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Doesn't COSC have a RA credit requirement?

Yep.30 total, (6 from capstone and cornerstone, and then can bring in 24 RA credits if I recall) 

IF I am seeing this correctly, original poster has at least 24 RA credit  UNLV and the EHL are both RA. or maybe I'm not reading the transfer document correctly. bad eye day
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(10-23-2020, 10:03 PM)Lydclrk Wrote: Hello!

I cannot thank everyone on here enough! I started Dec 2019 with only 24 credits and I now have over 118 credits.  I NEVER thought I would get my degree.  I am 50 years old and this has hung over my head my whole life; this website has changed my life! 

BUT - now I need to figure out how to finish this all up.  I would like to get a Bachelors in Business - Management or something that I can use for general business. Here is a list of the courses I have taken or am taking:

COMPLETED
CLEP –  Human Growth&Development /Intro to Business Law/ Intro to Sociology/ Western Civilization I/ Western Civilization II/ Information Systems/Principles of Marketing/ Intro to Psychology/Principles of Management

Sophia – Approaches to Studying Religions/Art History I/ Art History II/ College Algebra/ Conflict Resolution/ Developing Effective Teams/ English Comp I/Environmental Science/ Essentials of Managing Conflict/ Foundations of Statistics/ Intro to Business/ Intro to Ethics/ Macroeconomics/ Microeconomics/ Project Management,/Public Speaking/ US History I/ US History II/ Visual Communications

The Institutes:  Ethics and the Code of Professional Conduct Completed

TEEX:  Cyber Ethics TEEX-0278/Cyber Incident Analysis&Response TEEX-0284/Cyber Law&White Collar Crime TEEX-0284/ Disaster Recovery for Information Systems TEEX-0285/Information Risk Management TEEX-0286/Information Security for Everyone TEEX-0279

UNLV: PSY101 General Psych/ PSY432 Abnormal Psychology/HIS107 History of WWII/PE233 Tennis/ BUS101 Intro to Business
Ecole Hotelier Lausanne, Switzerland: HOA 245 Hotel Culinary Mgt/ Special Topics in Hotel Management HOA376/ Special Topics in Hotel Management European Cuisine HOA 366 (I can pull the Swiss credits through UNLV as it was an exchange)

In progress: 
Straighter Line:  BIO101 Intro to Biology with Lab,/ENG102 English Composition II/ Organizational Behavior,/Business Statistics

I recently turned in all of my transcripts to COSC for a Bachelors in Business Admin. I am not married to COSC - it just seemed like a good place to start. Plus you get a 10% discount on tuition if you take 4 StraighterLine courses (which I am finishing up right now). COSC is telling me I can only transfer 90 credits and they will only let me take 2 courses at a time right now.  This is not what I want because I can and have taken many more than 2 courses at a time successfully (as shown by the 93 credits I finished in 11 months.)

If I can get done by Jan 2021, I will qualify for a position that pays triple what I make right now (the only reason my company has not promoted me before is the degree - the hedge fund I work for requires a degree for upper level mgt no matter how much they want you or how many years experience you have - they are begging me to finish)  

I have attached a list of what COSC gave me credit for - can anyone give me advice on how to finish QUICK -I am open to other colleges/ test out or alternative credit... anything and everything just to be DONE! You guys are all AMAZING!  Thank you in advance for any help! I really appreciate you!

TESU seems like the best route in terms of easy/fast/cheapest.  

BS Business Admin with a concentration in finance or general management seems to be a good fit for you.

TESU requires 100 credits before they let you take the capstone, so if you hurry, you could be ready to take the cornerstone/capstone by Dec and by the end of Feb you would be done which is the earliest you can be done.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I just did a degree plan at TESU, here's what you should get:

Nothing for the Hotel Management, I don't think they count those as MAN courses, although it can't hurt to check

You need the following:

Civic Engagement (like Am Govt or Comparative Politics)
Financial Acctg
Managerial Acctg
Prin of Finance
Int'l Business
Business Comm
4 UL Business courses (at least 2 have to be in FIN, ACCT or MAR)

I would probably switch to Study.com and do the following:
ACC 101: Financial Accounting (CORE)
ACC 102: Intro to Managerial Accounting (CORE)
one UL Acctg course (for ACCT option)

FIN 101: Principles of Finance (CORE)
one UL Finance course (for FIN option)

BUS 120: International Business (CORE)
BUS 308: Globalization and International Management
MARK 303: Global Marketing
(lots of overlap between the 3)
MARK 308: Applied Marketing (instead of an ACCT or FIN UL course)

BUS 113: Business Communication (CORE)

I think this will be faster/easier than COSC, although not cheaper. But you don't have the 24cr of RA needed there, so they're out anyway. EC is similarly priced, but the 30cr of UL required will throw you off since you have almost no UL credit. I'd go with TESU for sure.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-23-2020, 10:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey there, just wondering.  Does your hedge fund provide Tuition Assistance or Reimbursement for taking courses?  Either way, have you applied/sent your transcripts to Excelsior or TESU?  TESU requires only 15 UL credits vs COSC and Excelsior requiring 30 UL.  You will need to take at least 6 credits at COSC and TESU, 7 credits at Excelsior as they have an Info Lit course that's required...  

Another thing to note, if you continue with COSC, you need UL that are ACE recommended for credit as they've dropped most of the NCCRS providers we recommend.  So that means, it's going to be harder and more expensive finding the courses required at COSC, your best bet for Upper Level right now is with Study.com, here is their link: https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

BJ! Thank you so much for the advice on TESU!  I just have to say, you have been my "Wizard", my Yoda on the journey to my degree!  I value each and every response you give on this site - reading how you help other people has helped me immensely!  THANK YOU THANK YOU  for the huge amount of time and effort you put in to supporting peoples dreams to come true. I appreciate you very much Smile

My employer does provide tuition assistance - but only for a handful of colleges and all of them require the last 30 credits to be taken directly through them - some have 8 week courses but it is not as quick as TESU or Excelsior.  

My husbands company actually is part of the Union Free College program - if anyone hasn't checked that out yet you should.  https://www.unionplusfreecollege.org/  it applies to spouses, children, grandchildren and even siblings of active and even retired union members.  You get a free associates degree through Eastern Gateway Community College - they are pretty generous with alternative credit options too so you can CLEP and DANTES most of the degree. You can also transfer your EGCC Associates degree to the bachelors program at Central State University Ohio online https://www.unionplus.org/benefits/educa...on-program and you get your Bachelors degree free (or almost free - some minimal charges apply).  But they wont let me test out of my last few credits so the big three are better.

I have sent my transcripts and FAFSA to TESU and Excelsior as well as COSC.  I was focusing on COSC but looking at what you said and the information from other people on the site (OMG - YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL FOR SHARING!)I can see that TESU will be my best bet as I can test out of more courses quickly. I changed my direction and just tested out of two more courses this weekend on StraighterLine (Organizational Behavior and English Comp II)

Again - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU - to everyone who posts on this site!  Not having a degree has been a lifelong road block for me - something that I have always been secretly ashamed of. I know I am very smart but in this world of "standards" and merit badges it was getting harder and harder to show that to people.  NOT ANYMORE! This site has changed my life - I am beyond grateful!!!

I think the best part about this site is that all of us are out there "educating" other people and getting them to start their own journey. I have four people at my husbands work who I showed this site to, that are all now on their own journey to get a degree!

(10-24-2020, 06:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I just did a degree plan at TESU, here's what you should get:

Nothing for the Hotel Management, I don't think they count those as MAN courses, although it can't hurt to check

You need the following:

Civic Engagement (like Am Govt or Comparative Politics)
Financial Acctg
Managerial Acctg
Prin of Finance
Int'l Business
Business Comm
4 UL Business courses (at least 2 have to be in FIN, ACCT or MAR)

I would probably switch to Study.com and do the following:
ACC 101: Financial Accounting (CORE)
ACC 102: Intro to Managerial Accounting (CORE)
one UL Acctg course (for ACCT option)

FIN 101: Principles of Finance (CORE)
one UL Finance course (for FIN option)

BUS 120: International Business (CORE)
BUS 308: Globalization and International Management
MARK 303: Global Marketing
(lots of overlap between the 3)
MARK 308: Applied Marketing (instead of an ACCT or FIN UL course)

BUS 113: Business Communication (CORE)

I think this will be faster/easier than COSC, although not cheaper.  But you don't have the 24cr of RA needed there, so they're out anyway.  EC is similarly priced, but the 30cr of UL required will throw you off since you have almost no UL credit.  I'd go with TESU for sure.
THANK YOU so much!!  This is the perfect road map!  I just registered for Study.com and I am going to knock out these courses!  You are the best!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 5 110 4 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,235 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 217 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,177 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 1,980 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: allvia
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 390 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 174 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 584 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 300 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM