Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding CS concentration now?
I've already applied for March graduation, but I just saw my evaluation after new transcripts have been added. So I'm regretting that I didn't think about this more sooner and add a ASNSM-CS concentration. I'm only 3 or 4 credits away!

I'm almost thinking of delaying my other degrees (BSBA-Finance, BSBA-Marketing, and ASNSM-Bio) for 3 months, if it means I can add this. Tough decision, because it would delay my MTS and my BA-CS / BA-English somewhat. But this would not be my only reason for delaying.

Can ASNSM-CS even be added anymore, since I already applied for graduation for the "3" degrees? Would I lose some or all of my graduation application fee if it was me that decided to postpone?

One reason I want the ASNSM-CS, even though I plan to graduate with BA-CS in March 2019, is it might help me get better paying work over the course of the year. Another reason is to act as a backup. I think that I might have life issues that slow me down later this year (or issues with 1 or 2 of the harder classes). If I know I'm going to miss the March 2019 deadline, it might cost me an extra residency waiver fee, which may then slow me down more. I would much rather have the ASNSM-CS than no CS degree.

One downside to getting the ASNSM-CS is maybe I'd be more likely to go slow on the BA-CS (or even quit it).

I would be "burning" 3-6 credits on this ASNSM. (Burning because those courses could not be used as "new" for the BA-CS.) However, I am planning to take extra LL credits for the BA-CS anyway, because I need them as background for other courses, and because LL credits are cheap.

Having written it out, I believe I do want to delay my graduation to add ASNSM-CS... if it's not going to cost $323 additional. But I would like advice on both options.

I think I only need 3 more credits? The ASNSM-CS eval shows 17 SH needed for the AOS, and I have 13. But one of those 17 is the TES-100 cornerstone. If they waive the cornerstone, they would replace it with a Gen Ed, right, doesn't have to be CS? It's strange it's under the AOS section.

I'm sure you can add it, and I'm sure you can delay to June just by asking. You have to decide whether it's worth it. I will note that getting it later would involve more new units that getting it at the same time as the other associate's.

I'm never a big fan of associate's degree and if you're confident that you want the BACS, I'd say it isn't worth slowing that down even a month, much less three.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Ideas
(01-09-2018, 08:57 PM)davewill Wrote: I'm sure you can add it, and I'm sure you can delay to June just by asking. You have to decide whether it's worth it. I will note that getting it later would involve more new units that getting it at the same time as the other associate's.

I'm never a big fan of associate's degree and if you're confident that you want the BACS, I'd say it isn't worth slowing that down even a month, much less three.

I'm confident that I want it, but I'm not confident in how quickly I can do it for multiple reasons. If they aren't asking for a second waiver fee, that will be big incentive to me to work fast (8-12 months). Otherwise, I think I will spend up to another year? I'm really not sure what the future holds for me in many ways, so I guess I want this as a backup.

Do you think I would be a better candidate for employment and/or freelancing if I had the ASNSM-CS?
BSBA + I'm a BA-CS student but don't have the meaty courses done yet + ASNSM-CS
BSBA + I'm a BA-CS student but don't have the meaty courses done yet
I know it depends on what kind of job, but any thoughts would be welcome. 

By not having meaty courses yet, I mean that I've done only intro programming courses not intermediate yet, and I've only done Calc I and/or Calc II, not more advanced math yet. (At TESU, I will have at least 10 UL credits, but anyone who checks won't be too impressed with them being CIS, CAP, MAR credits.)

The ASNSM CS can be added to your next degree, don’t worry about it now. The degree only will require one or two extra courses, you should be able to complete it with the Saylor, SL, Study.com and if needed, the CSU CBE courses. List your current CS courses and we can recommend the easiest, fastest.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-10-2018, 12:23 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The ASNSM CS can be added to your next degree, don’t worry about it now.  The degree only will require one or two extra courses, you should be able to complete it with the Saylor, SL, Study.com and if needed, the CSU CBE courses.  List your current CS courses and we can recommend the easiest, fastest.

Are you sure, if I got ASNSM-Bio now, that I can get ASNSM-CS later? I don't think it works out.

I don't think someone can can get 2 degrees of the same type? e.g. Can't get a BSBA-Accounting now and later a BSBA-CIS? I think the second has to be a different one? Or maybe only COSC is that way. I'm pretty sure COSC does that.

I don't see how getting the ASNSM-CS later helps my situation. Because I would have to either pay another grad fee, or only get the degree when I get my BA-CS, which defeats the purpose of having a (lesser) degree sooner.

I suppose I could only do the ASNSM-CS if I decided to quit the BA-CS, but I already planned to do a different Associates with my next degree since I am close to one (it's almost a freebie), and I don't think I can do one ASNSM when one is not ASNSM.

I already know I would take Saylor Intro Comp Sci II for the next 3 credits Smile

you already have a
"BSBA-Finance, BSBA-Marketing, and ASNSM-Bio"

don't waste time getting another associates or bachelors

"I don't see how getting the ASNSM-CS later helps my situation."

I don't see how getting the ASNSM-CS NOW helps your situation.

"when I get my BA-CS,"

LOL, what are you doing ?? 

get a Masters degree or a graduate certificate
(01-10-2018, 01:13 AM)bluebooger Wrote: "when I get my BA-CS,"

LOL, what are you doing ?? 

get a Masters degree or a graduate certificate

I guess I should have added the disclaimer that my situation is not typical, and I'm mostly getting degrees for personal reasons. I still keep in mind what other people would do, in terms of employability (especially from home), but it's not really a goal. I need to add this to my signature.

You're graduating with three degrees for now, I would wait to add the ASNSM Comp Sci by finishing that one extra course.
1) ASNSM Biology & 2) ASNSM Computer Science, & 3) BSBA with Two AOS/Concentrations, Finance & Marketing.
Your final degree sounds like a BA with two majors, Computer Science & English. That will work, 4 degrees @ TESU.

Moreover, basically, the difference between a concentration and a major are just 6 credits and the prerequisites.
Essentially, your BSBA requires two AOS/Concentrations, each require only 18 credits, the prerequisites are identical.
Your BA with two majors require 24 credits in each major, the prerequisites are different, make sure you have them all.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Ideas
I honestly think that ANY associate's is almost useless in the job market, except to separate one's self from a high school graduate. If you're trying to be promoted to manager at Burger King, then an associate's would help, otherwise not so much.

If your reasons are personal, then none of that matters.

(01-10-2018, 01:55 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You're graduating with three degrees for now, I would wait to add the ASNSM Comp Sci by finishing that one extra course.
1) ASNSM Biology & 2) ASNSM Computer Science, & 3) BSBA with Two AOS/Concentrations, Finance & Marketing.
Your final degree sounds like a BA with two majors, Computer Science & English. That will work, 4 degrees @ TESU.

Moreover, basically, the difference between a concentration and a major are just 6 credits and the prerequisites.
Essentially, your BSBA requires two AOS/Concentrations, each require only 18 credits, the prerequisites are identical.
Your BA with two majors require 24 credits in each major, the prerequisites are different, make sure you have them all.
A second associate's is similar to a second bachelor's and requires 12 new credits if earned after the first one. If earned now she only needs the one course, if earned later she'll need four courses.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
After more thought, I would like to skip this ASNSM-CS and get moving on the BA-CS. However I am still considering getting the ASNSM-CS in the bag right now because:

1. I don't feel secure enough in my BA-CS plan. Now that I look over everything again, my hesitancy mostly comes down to the Operating Systems requirement. (I know how I would fill all the other requirements.) Of course, at worst case I could take Operating Systems at TESU (for $1098, I believe). I guess I would feel more comfortable if there was another option, because taking it at TESU would probably lower my GPA. There is a good chance I could find another course for $700-1000. I really prefer something that can be done within 8 weeks but 10 or 12 is ok.

2. I believe there is a chance that TESU will change their requirements in the 1-3 months before I get locked in. I know that the odds may be small, but an advisor was warning me that they might stop accepting certain courses for CompSci or downgrade them. Looking over my plans, one or two downgrades would not be a significant problem.

Having written this out, these are smaller/less likely reasons which I should ignore, right? 

I feel confident I could complete the requirements, and that I would continue to feel it's worth the time and money. My concern is having no (lesser) degree for a year or more, if it takes longer, but at least I would be enrolled and racking up credits. The main reason it may take longer is many of the courses have a specific sequence I must follow... so I think it will take 3-4 terms.

(01-10-2018, 04:53 AM)davewill Wrote: I honestly think that ANY associate's is almost useless in the job market, except to separate one's self from a high school graduate. If you're trying to be promoted to manager at Burger King, then an associate's would help, otherwise not so much.

If your reasons are personal, then none of that matters.

Don't you think an associates is worth more than an undergrad cert? Some feel that an undergrad cert can make a difference if the main degree is in a different field. For example: BSBA-Marketing + CS/CIS Cert seems more likely to get an IT/IS-related job than just BSBA-Marketing alone? Just curious. I am now leaning toward skipping the ASNSM-CS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,587 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,717 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,077 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,231 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,373 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with BALS General Management Concentration or alternatives YeaStudy 17 4,075 04-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Last Post: YeaStudy
  Marketing concentration Ideas 9 1,942 11-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Adding Transcripts to TESU lmckown 3 1,369 09-04-2017, 05:22 PM
  COSC Concentration Goblue34 8 1,860 08-23-2017, 09:40 AM
  Adding Associates degree to plan?? cali86 1 1,036 05-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77