Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accountability thread: there are many like it, but this one is mine :)
Well then. I've decided on a degree from TESU, either the BSBA or the BALS. Since all the CLEPS credits (~30) I took many moons ago are more than 20 years old, they are no longer valid, or even recorded, and I'm starting from scratch.

This is disheartening. Which is why I'm starting this thread, to keep myself on track.

I've completed 2 courses so far, and will be taking my third exam in about three days. At first I was 100% certain I wanted the business degree, since that's what I have the most practical experience with; but after business law and principles of management, I realized the subject is joyless for me, which is contributing to me dragging my feet. So I am really considering switching over to the BALS, even though it will cost more. Money really is an issue, so I need to think hard.

To hedge my bets, I'll be going after General Education credits for the next while, which will give me time to consider further. The Shmoop history course was something I just flew through in six days, not trying very hard.

As I a m overseas, CLEP and DSST tests are quite difficult to access, and so I am focussing on Saylor, SL etc.

Next up after the Management exam, I plan on taking a look at ALEKS, starting with intro to algebra, and if it goes well enough, then college algebra and statistics. I depise and fear math, so hopefully not having an exam will alleviate some of the anxiety. It will also be good to have what I consider the hardest thing (for me personally) in my rear view mirror. For my own psychology, that would be a massive win.

So, uh, yeah. Accountability post #1 complete. #2 to come after I take and hopefully pass Principles of Management on Friday.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
That's a bummer on the CLEP's. Have you checked to see if they have them? I wouldn't give up too easily.

Regarding Shmoop, are you going to do all 3 history courses? Because all of them are included in the price. And, so are the math courses, so if you want to study some lower-level math as a prelude to starting ALEKS, it's not a bad idea to do Pre-Algebra I & II, and then Algebra I & II while you have them available. Algebra I & II might count as something at TESU, so it's not a terrible idea to work through that if you like their format.

For ALEKS, make sure you take Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, and Stats. Beginning Algebra doesn't count at TESU.

You can do an entire degree (BSBA or BALS) without ever taking a CLEP or DSST exam, so I wouldn't worry about that. Everything that you need can be gotten through sources where you don't have to go to a testing center.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Regarding the CLEPS, yep, they're vapor :/

I signed up for shmoop literally a day before they changed the pricing, so if I want to take the other two, I'll have to pay the new rate. Which I probably will, since I like their format. Also hoping their notes on Plato's Republic will help me get through Saylor's Intro to Western Political Thought. My biggest problem with Saylor is that each course has a massive amount of information to wade through, and you never really know what's going to be on the exam. It's my second time around with the management exam tomorrow morning. Grr. (First time I got 69%. Grown men crying isn't pretty.)

Accountablity update: I signed up for ALEKS and nearly passed the initial assessment for Intro to Algebra (64%). Kept reassessing and 11+ hours later, reached 70%. Just requested it be added to my ACE transcript. It was kind of a miserable experience, but I am very, very happy to have satisfied that requirement for the BALS. Since I've got 29 days left on my account, I'll grit my teeth and do Algebra and Statistics as well. But I won't like it Big Grin

Notgodot Wrote:I signed up for shmoop literally a day before they changed the pricing, so if I want to take the other two, I'll have to pay the new rate. Which I probably will, since I like their format.

I renewed my Shmoop membership the day of the change, and registered for Finite Math and Geometry courses yesterday, works at $25/month grandfathered in.
I wouldn't kill myself over ALEKS as it's just $20/month, if you can handle it, try to get all 4 courses done in a month and work on the FREE credits!
The forth course would be Precalculus or Trigonometry from ALEKS used as elective credit, but they duplicate each other, so just go for one or the other.
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Notgodot Wrote:Regarding the CLEPS, yep, they're vapor :/

I signed up for shmoop literally a day before they changed the pricing, so if I want to take the other two, I'll have to pay the new rate. Which I probably will, since I like their format. Also hoping their notes on Plato's Republic will help me get through Saylor's Intro to Western Political Thought. My biggest problem with Saylor is that each course has a massive amount of information to wade through, and you never really know what's going to be on the exam. It's my second time around with the management exam tomorrow morning. Grr. (First time I got 69%. Grown men crying isn't pretty.)

Accountablity update: I signed up for ALEKS and nearly passed the initial assessment for Intro to Algebra (64%). Kept reassessing and 11+ hours later, reached 70%. Just requested it be added to my ACE transcript. It was kind of a miserable experience, but I am very, very happy to have satisfied that requirement for the BALS. Since I've got 29 days left on my account, I'll grit my teeth and do Algebra and Statistics as well. But I won't like it Big Grin

Is it Intro to Algebra? Because I thought there was Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra, but no Intro.

For Shmoop, you get a full month, and it doesn't sound like your month is up, so can't you go as many courses as you can fit in that time?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:For Shmoop, you get a full month, and it doesn't sound like your month is up, so can't you go as many courses as you can fit in that time?

They locked out any classes you hadn't registered for unless you upgrade to new pricing. They let you continue any classed you were previously enrolled in.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
dfrecore Wrote:Is it Intro to Algebra? Because I thought there was Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra, but no Intro.

For Shmoop, you get a full month, and it doesn't sound like your month is up, so can't you go as many courses as you can fit in that time?

Yep, Intermediate is what I meant to write Smile and as mentioned, Shmoop locked everyone out of credit-bearing courses they hadn't already registered for. Got an email confirming it.

Slight change of plan.

First, even though ALEKS is a real cost saver, I have decided not to take any more math courses since I don't have to. It's just not worth it to me.

Second, I had to reschedule my Management test, as I had a vomiting wife (she's fine now). Now the 28th of this month.

Per aspera!

Notgodot Wrote:Slight change of plan.

First, even though ALEKS is a real cost saver, I have decided not to take any more math courses since I don't have to. It's just not worth it to me.

Second, I had to reschedule my Management test, as I had a vomiting wife (she's fine now). Now the 28th of this month.

Per aspera!

I dislike both math and when my wife vomits, so I'm glad both are no longer your concern.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Principles of Management is complete. Really glad to have this one done, as the first time around I failed by 1 point (69). This time around I got a 79.

While I was waiting for the test, I also completed the Ethics course from The Institutes, and took and passed the practice exam for Intro to Business (Saylor). So that one'll be next. I also took the practice exam for Intro to Western Political Thought, and got 60+%, so that'll be after Intro to Business.

In the Hail Mary department, I wrote an email to TESU, asking if there was any way they would consider my CLEP/DANTES scores from 20+ years ago, even though ETS doesn't keep records past 20 years. Doesn't hurt to ask. And I'm in the (slow) process of getting the A-Levels exams I took evaluated.

Also, I've got a sore throat and my back hurts. Get off my lawn, you kids.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation My very own "I'm Finished!!!" thread boalex207 13 2,490 06-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: topdog98
Question My Accountability Thread tobyisking 3 1,445 04-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Last Post: tobyisking
  I finally get to create this thread...! Joeman200 9 1,945 03-17-2018, 09:18 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Crouchie's Accountability Thread bjcheung77 2 1,065 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,296 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  In 35yrs & <30 days I Can Almost See the Finish Line (Accountability/Gratitude) studiousimp 7 2,560 08-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Last Post: studiousimp
  My I'm done thread!!! hed1979 9 2,405 08-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Last Post: jlearn25
  Another "need advice please" thread :) LifeWith6 4 1,491 05-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My BA is Official Thread... and a BIG Thanks! Mamasaphire 22 2,533 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Last Post: cypster
  TESU business degree plan (thread probably exists, just not finding it) Kjnova 9 2,332 02-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Last Post: inkleind