Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About to get my ccaf
Hey guys Im active duty Air force and I am 2 cleps from my CCAF I stumbled upon this site and was wondering if anyone knew of a good school where I could get a business degree with just test? Thanks in advance
MilitaryMan87, hi, and welcome. Typically, I'm not one of those people who say, "search before you ask," but I do recommend searching first because there are SO many things to consider when choosing a college. Cost? Majors? Customer service? Types of credit accepted, etc.? At degreeforum, the majority of the students discuss Thomas Edison State College, a brick and mortar school in New Jersey; Chartar Oak State College in Connecticut, another B&M school; and Excelsior, which is, if I understand it correctly, more of a virtual school. It is associated with NY state's college system. Other sites are free-clep-prep.com, and bain4weeks.com. (I'm not sure how active the latter site is.) Good luck.
LaterBloomer Wrote:MilitaryMan87, hi, and welcome. Typically, I'm not one of those people who say, "search before you ask," but I do recommend searching first because there are SO many things to consider when choosing a college. Cost? Majors? Customer service? Types of credit accepted, etc.? At degreeforum, the majority of the students discuss Thomas Edison State College, a brick and mortar school in New Jersey; Chartar Oak State College in Connecticut, another B&M school; and Excelsior, which is, if I understand it correctly, more of a virtual school. It is associated with NY state's college system. Other sites are free-clep-prep.com, and bain4weeks.com. (I'm not sure how active the latter site is.) Good luck.
Just an FYI, all 3 are more virtual schools, with some admin-type buildings but no actual classrooms. I know TESC has a testing center, not sure about the others, but that hardly makes them a B&M school. Also, Excelsior is now a private institution, with no state affiliations.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
TESC also gives a lower cost to active military (NJ resident cost) But you must take a minimum number of courses from them for that. It is also a state university and Regionally accredited. I think both Charter oaks and Excelsior now require Capstone classes that must be taken from them. If you are willing to pay the tuition yourself TESC has no required classes.

Thank you for serving and Good luck with your degree.

I know some here will disagree, but just my 2c stay away from University of Phoenix. They are expensive and not highly rated by most employers
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
HOWDY!

Lindagerr Wrote:TESC also gives a lower cost to active military (NJ resident cost) But you must take a minimum number of courses from them for that.

Actually, TESC is FREE for us due to 100% Tuition Assistance. But AD TA users are required to take 18 credits from TESC (6 courses) in order to have the $2-3K annual enrollment fee waived. Essentially you enroll for free, and take the courses for free, as long as you take 6 courses. The rest can be transfer, CLEP, etc.

TESC lets you CLEP 120 credits, BTW. I think COSC and EC do as well.

I just applied to TESC ($75) with a self-built degree plan for a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, CIS concentration. I have not yet however gone into the portal to apply for TA for my first class: English Composition 102. I may postpone it to August to make sure I have time to finish out my last CCAF CLEP.

My BSBA CIS plan lets me do the following:
  • Transfer in 49 CCAF Computer Science credits + 15 gen ed CLEPs (for the 64 CCAF credits)
  • Learn business by studying for and testing out of the business core
  • Use ALEKS to get through trig, since trig is accepted for the TESC pre-cal BSBA math requirement
  • Potentially study a couple of courses at UMUC to get a couple of high-value IT certifications (Network+ and CISSP)

All in 18-24 months tops.

TESC also has an "Active Duty Scholarship", and I have an open e-mail with them to find out what it is and how it works. I assume it helps cover books, etc.

FYI in my unofficial eval, my CCAF degree fills up all of the CIS concentration, all of the business electives, and all of the free electives! Maybe you will have the same luck!

Lindagerr Wrote:I know some here will disagree, but just my 2c stay away from University of Phoenix. They are expensive and not highly rated by most employers

:iagree: Though in the gov't/military arena some of the nationally accredited colleges like UoP and AMU are less of an issue, in the private sector I know for a fact that UoP is almost universally laughed at. I've read more than one story where IT shops have been ordered to throw out any resume containing a UoP degree without consideration at all.

99% of the time you will want to use only regionally-accredited schools. This is especially important for later education.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dcan Wrote::iagree: Though in the gov't/military arena some of the nationally accredited colleges like UoP and AMU are less of an issue, in the private sector I know for a fact that UoP is almost universally laughed at. I've read more than one story where IT shops have been ordered to throw out any resume containing a UoP degree without consideration at all.

99% of the time you will want to use only regionally-accredited schools. This is especially important for later education.
Another FYI, UOP and AMU are regionally-accredited. AMU is also nationally-accredited.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
bawhitsett Wrote:Another FYI, UOP and AMU are regionally-accredited. AMU is also nationally-accredited.

I stand corrected.

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

COSC EC ? which schools are these ?
Poke around on the forum, you will quickly learn.

COSC = Charter Oak State College
EC = Excelsior College
TESC = Thomas Edison State College

aka "The Big Three"

All allow, in some form or another, 100% transfer credit. This forum is designed mainly to support pursuing degrees through testing out at these schools.

Ryoder just did the following, in just about 12 months:
  • Completed a BS in Business Admin + Computer Information Systems
  • Completed a second BS in Math & Science
  • Almost finished with a MBA

Read this forum and learn.

sounds awesome, great job.i am currently three cleps and/or classes away from my CCAF . public speaking/speech , mathematics , and management . i am currently studying for my principles of management clep,which i think ill do fine in. i was interested in becoming a officer through AECP and the information youve provided really helps thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best options to finish my CCAF bthompson1638 8 10,128 08-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  CCAF is Ridiculous Sagan 3 3,093 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,797 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  HELP! Need CCAF in 19weeks blakedrinnen 4 2,792 02-19-2018, 08:30 AM
  Airforce ccaf - study.com retire2018 12 9,131 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Sagan
  Picking college for IT after finishing CCAF riderofdirt 5 4,743 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
  Suggested Cleps to Finish my CCAF. Nerdymcnerdface 2 4,186 09-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Finished CCAF jethomasjr 9 3,707 09-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jethomasjr
  CCAF vs JST rockbust 6 3,238 08-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Last Post: dcan
  BYU Public Speaking and CCAF rcsaint 5 2,003 01-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Last Post: gingerbeefE