Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AOS for BA in Psych - length of time, tips, etc.
Hey All!

Looking for some input on estimates for how long the AOS for TESU will take through Study.com, generally speaking. Has anyone done the Psychology fairly fast? Ran into issues? Etc?

1) Is ~4 months a good estimate for 9 courses or is it too long?

2) I see some courses have assignments, too, not sure how much extra time they typically take?

3) Any order that I should take them?

4) Looks like doing the course through Study.com for PSY-350 Abnormal Psych may be a problem?

5) Any courses really difficult to get through?

I have 9 courses left to take (bolded):

**At least 15 of the 36 credits required within the entire Area of Study must be at the 300/400 level .** 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Introduction - PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology (3 units) -

(3) Sophia.org Intro to Psychology - completing now

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B. Experimental - PSY-322 Research in Experimental Psychology (3 units) -

(3) PSY-105: Research in Experimental Psychology - no assignment

C: Social - PSY-379 Social Psychology (6) - 

(3) Social Psychology I - completed 12/2017
(3) PSY-316: Advanced Social Psychology - 1 assignment

D: History/Systems - PSY-400 History and Systems of Psychology  (3 units)

(3) PSY-312: History and Systems of Psychology - 1 assignment

E: Physiological - PSY-374 Physiological Psychology (3 units)

(3) PSY-311: Physiological of Psychology - 1 assignment

F: Developmental - PSY-211 Developmental Psychology (3 units)

(3) PSY-107: Life Span Developmental Psychology - no assignment

G: Abnormal - PSY-350 Abnormal Psychology (3 units)

(3) PSY-306: Advanced Abnormal Psychology?? - 2 assignments  

I don't see a course that transfers in as 350 on the transfer page. This Study.com transfers in as PSY-246. Sounds like this is a problem?

H: Ethics Soc Sci - SOS-450 Ethics in the Social Sciences (3 units)

(3) SOC-108: Ethics in the Social Sciences - no assignment

I: Statistics - STA-201 Principles of Statistics (3 units)

(3) Sophia.org - Intro to Statistics - completing now

J: AOS Electives (6 units)

(3) PSY- 108: Psychology of Adulthood & Aging - no assignment
(3) PSY-102: Introduction to Educational Psychology - no assignment

Thanks!

Danielle
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Taking one of the Study.com Abnormal Psychology classes isn't a problem, the problem is that in your entire area of study you only have one upper-level class (History and Systems of Psychology). You need to have 5 classes that come into TESU as PSY-3XX or PSY-4XX, and you only have one.

To my knowledge, Study.com only has four upper-level psychology classes (History/Systems, I/O, Personality, Organizational Theory), so you're going to have to get some upper-level credits elsewhere. I know Coopersmith has several UL psych classes, as well as UExcel and TECEP.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Ah, ok, so not everything can be done through Study.com, is what I'm picking up. Gotcha.

(07-17-2019, 03:02 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Taking one of the Study.com Abnormal Psychology classes isn't a problem, the problem is that in your entire area of study you only have one upper-level class (History and Systems of Psychology). You need to have 5 classes that come into TESU as PSY-3XX or PSY-4XX, and you only have one.

I guess Im not sure on how to read the transfer tab from Study.com then, bc I thought I had everything lined up matching PSY-3XX-4XX?
Yep, for Psych you can test out of everything, but not use exclusively Study.com. I personally haven't tried UExcel or TECEP, but I had a good experience with the one Coopersmith class I took, so you may want to consider them for some upper-level options. It's $150 per course, so a little more expensive than Study.com but not a whole lot.

If I were you, since you seem to be fond of Study.com's format, I would replace your two Psych electives with two of their UL courses, and then take Abnormal Psychology and Physiological Psychology through Coopersmith, where both are upper level. Then your 15 upper level credits would be:

Study.com - PSY-312: History and Systems of Psychology (3)
Study.com Upper-level Psych Elective 1 (3)
Study.com Upper-level Psych Elective 2 (3)
Coopersmith Abnormal Psychology (3)
Coopersmith Physiological Psychology (3)
Completed:

Up Next:

[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • studiousimp
Thanks, mysonx3!

Anyone have any tips on how to determine what is UL or LL when looking at alt providers? I'm so confused right now. I thought it just had to start with 3xx or 4xx?

Thanks!

Danielle
(07-17-2019, 03:58 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Thanks, mysonx3!

Anyone have any tips on how to determine what is UL or LL when looking at alt providers? I'm so confused right now. I thought it just had to start with 3xx or 4xx?

Thanks!

Danielle

It has to start with 3xx or 4xx AT TESU, rather than at Study.com or wherever. The most reliable method is to look in the ACE or NCCRS database under credit recommendation
Completed:

Up Next:

OMG, All the times that I've added courses in ACE and never looked at the bottom before adding to transcript!!! Now I see it! Thank you!!!!! Really cannot rely on the study.com transfer list!!! ARGH!!!
(07-17-2019, 05:12 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: OMG, All the times that I've added courses in ACE and never looked at the bottom before adding to transcript!!! Now I see it! Thank you!!!!!

Keep in mind that there are times when ACE will call a course LL, but TESU will take it as UL because that's how NCCRS evaluates it. Here's the link to see SDC's NCCRS evaluations:

http://www.nationalccrs.org/organizations/studycom
Completed:

Up Next:

(07-17-2019, 05:14 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Keep in mind that there are times when ACE will call a course LL, but TESU will take it as UL because that's how NCCRS evaluates it. Here's the link to see SDC's NCCRS evaluations:

Haha, not complicated AT ALL! LOL!! Thank you so much, mysonx3! You rock!

Ok, I see what you mean NCCRS has Study.com's Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality course as UL and ACE says it LL. 

So NCCRS overrides ACE? Or, rather, TESU recognizes NCCRS more strongly than ACE?

http://www.nationalccrs.org/organization...ycom#n8599
(07-17-2019, 05:20 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 05:14 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Keep in mind that there are times when ACE will call a course LL, but TESU will take it as UL because that's how NCCRS evaluates it. Here's the link to see SDC's NCCRS evaluations:

Haha, not complicated AT ALL! LOL!! Thank you so much, mysonx3! You rock!

Ok, I see what you mean NCCRS has Study.com's Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality course as UL and ACE says it LL. 

So NCCRS overrides ACE? Or, rather, TESU recognizes NCCRS more strongly than ACE?

http://www.nationalccrs.org/organization...ycom#n8599

I don't think it's a case of NCCRS overriding ACE, as much as an UL designation overriding a LL designation. I can't confirm that, however, because I'm not aware of any classes that ACE has as UL but NCCRS has as LL.
Completed:

Up Next:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,330 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 278 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
Question Local proctoring experiences/tips? jch 17 2,231 10-30-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
Question TECEP Study Tips For CMP-354 Network Technology udi 41 7,305 09-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU academic evaluation hasn't been returned since 1/23/23. Is that enough time? CanICode 10 1,301 08-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: CanICode
  TESU BACS & BSBA CIS at the same time? CanICode 25 3,179 07-10-2023, 08:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Psy352 psych personality Akegge 0 306 03-13-2023, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Akegge
  TESU Discrete Math - other cost/time options onlinelearner99 9 2,086 09-27-2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  upper level psych courses.....suggestions? CM1999 2 687 01-02-2022, 02:40 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Easy associate degrees at TESU, while obtaining Psych degree. OliviasDad 4 821 11-16-2021, 05:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az