Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit of a Dilemma ..and MBA at the Big 3
Hi Everyone

I am still second guessing my decision to attend Mount Olive. The program is only 1 year and requires just 11 courses. It is a local college that is well recognized in NC. The total cost for the program is approx. 17k. Overall it is a good fit for me. The ONLY concern is that it has NO business accreditation (neither AACSB,ACBSP nor IACBE). I ultimate career goal is executive management. Wouldn't this lack of accreditation limit my career opportunities?

The dilemma I have that limits my ability to apply to top AACSB schools is my ability to obtain transcripts from ALL schools attended (which would include about 8 or 9). As a result, I have limited my search to schools that only require transcripts from the degree granting school. (is this the right approach)

Sigh....The deadline for summer admissions at most places is approaching. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place (i think). banghead

ALSO: anyone had success with pursuing an MBA at one of the Big 3?

Thanks (in advance) for your insight
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
Is getting the transcripts really THAT big a problem? Most schools do it online these days, and even if they don't a little persistence on the phone should be able to get them. I certainly wouldn't let something like that make my school choice for me.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:Is getting the transcripts really THAT big a problem? Most schools do it online these days, and even if they don't a little persistence on the phone should be able to get them. I certainly wouldn't let something like that make my school choice for me.

It not that it is a problem. For example, I have a balance at WIU and AIU (online schools) due to withdrawing so they won't release transcripts.
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
futuremrsmlb Wrote:It not that it is a problem. For example, I have a balance at WIU and AIU (online schools) due to withdrawing so they won't release transcripts.

First, it would be worthwhile to save up and pay your balance at these schools before continuing onward. Limiting your choices to schools that don't require all transcripts is very tough as most schools want all. Is there a rush to get your MBA? If not, why not pay off the amounts owed first then apply at the program of your choosing?

As to the programmatic accreditation. I don't think it matters much in the business world. If you want to teach, or go on to PHD studies (at schools with programmatic accreditation) then it definitely matters. For the business world, local name recognition is worth more than programmatic accreditation (assuming the school has a positive reputation).

As for choosing the big 3 for MBA studies, my question would be why? They offer no significant advantage. There are programs that are cheaper, with programmatic accreditation and with better name recognition. For undergrad, the big 3 is an obvious choice, for graduate -- i don't see any appeal in choosing from these schools.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Hi Everyone

I am still second guessing my decision to attend Mount Olive. The program is only 1 year and requires just 11 courses. It is a local college that is well recognized in NC. The total cost for the program is approx. 17k. Overall it is a good fit for me. The ONLY concern is that it has NO business accreditation (neither AACSB,ACBSP nor IACBE). I ultimate career goal is executive management. Wouldn't this lack of accreditation limit my career opportunities?

The dilemma I have that limits my ability to apply to top AACSB schools is my ability to obtain transcripts from ALL schools attended (which would include about 8 or 9). As a result, I have limited my search to schools that only require transcripts from the degree granting school. (is this the right approach)

Sigh....The deadline for summer admissions at most places is approaching. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place (i think). banghead

ALSO: anyone had success with pursuing an MBA at one of the Big 3?

Thanks (in advance) for your insight

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I ever heard of an employer who cared anything for ACBSP or IACBE. The three major MBA accreditors globally are AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS. Even then, most employers don't ask for the accreditation, it just so happens they tend to hire and recruit from the schools who have them. You will find a few anecdotal examples of companies being overt about AACSB accreditation and I'm sure there are a few that have a covert requirement, but its mostly about school name.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I ever heard of an employer who cared anything for ACBSP or IACBE. The three major MBA accreditors globally are AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS. Even then, most employers don't ask for the accreditation, it just so happens they tend to hire and recruit from the schools who have them. You will find a few anecdotal examples of companies being overt about AACSB accreditation and I'm sure there are a few that have a covert requirement, but its mostly about school name.

I know you have a very good point. Maybe in my subconscious I am seeking some sort of validation that it is perfectly fine to obtain an MBA without such "prestigious" accreditation.

Thanks for all the input
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
Are you planning on staying local? If so, there are good reasons to have a degree from a local university. Brand perception is hottest in your town. I'm going to say something you won't like, I live in Charlotte and have never even heard of the city Mount Olive let alone the university- I had to google it. I think the perception of the brand OUTSIDE of your immediate area is neutral. For that reason, I'd ask myself if time were the most important factor (1 year MBA is awesome) or if money is (even $17k is a pretty darn good price!) but if it's name brand, you're at the wrong school. Everyone has to decide for themselves- there are people beating themselves up over which Ivy to choose, sure that picking one instead of the other is the path to failure....so it's all relative. It's probably not nearly the problem you're making it out to be. Just my .02
cookderosa Wrote:Are you planning on staying local? If so, there are good reasons to have a degree from a local university. Brand perception is hottest in your town. I'm going to say something you won't like, I live in Charlotte and have never even heard of the city Mount Olive let alone the university- I had to google it. I think the perception of the brand OUTSIDE of your immediate area is neutral. For that reason, I'd ask myself if time were the most important factor (1 year MBA is awesome) or if money is (even $17k is a pretty darn good price!) but if it's name brand, you're at the wrong school. Everyone has to decide for themselves- there are people beating themselves up over which Ivy to choose, sure that picking one instead of the other is the path to failure....so it's all relative. It's probably not nearly the problem you're making it out to be. Just my .02

Spot on! I think I am making it more of an issue than it really is. I am going to whoosahhh, inhale , exhale and let it go. I have reaearched MBA options in NC and UMO has what I am looking for. I have considered UNC and NC State but the cost and residency requirements for the program caused me to look at other programs. My employer offers a discount for employees to attend Queens University but the cost is ridiculously high.

I think I will stick to UoM. 
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
I'm trying to understand why you would consider switching to TESU or Excelsior from University of Mount Olive. I believe they're more expensive. TESU is pursuing ACBSP accreditation, but doesn't have it yet. Excelsior has IACBE which no one cares about. As far as I know, both of those schools will require all transcripts.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Spot on! I think I am making it more of an issue than it really is. I am going to whoosahhh, inhale , exhale and let it go. I have reaearched MBA options in NC and UMO has what I am looking for. I have considered UNC and NC State but the cost and residency requirements for the program caused me to look at other programs. My employer offers a discount for employees to attend Queens University but the cost is ridiculously high.

I think I will still to UoM. ��

Queens lol, I have stories.... anyway.... you're at a solid school!
The cheapest public uni in NC is Fayetteville, they have online options, but really, I don't see M.O. as being a problem. Go kill it! Wink