Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A ‘once in a generation’ winter storm will impact nearly every state!
Shocked 
In case anyone needs another reason to hate Russia, here's another reason for you.

Very cold air has been gathering over Siberia in Russia. This extremely cold air mass will move over the pole and south across Canada and spread across the United States. Russia is invading America!

As a result, people in Houston, Texas, will likely see temperates as cold as 29F by Christmas, which would be the coldest since 1983.

A ‘once in a generation’ winter storm will impact nearly every state and cripple Christmas travel.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/21/weather/c...index.html

A new term for y'all to learn, "Bomb Cyclone"
https://www.axios.com/2022/12/21/bomb-cy...cold-front

Baby it's cold outside. How long does it take to get frostbite
https://www.whsv.com/2022/01/26/how-long...frostbite/

Any preparation you guys doing to prepare for this?  Is anyone going outside?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
People in Flordia and Texas be like......

Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I've lived in or just outside of Houston for about 40 years. Supposedly it got down to 17 or 18 F overnight. I wouldn't call it a once-in-a-generation winter storm for us.... that one happened 2 years ago  Big Grin, and it really was brutal. This storm was very dry for us, and the highs should be back in the 70's late next week.

Prep is same ole same ole. Wrap exterior pipes, bring potted things inside, and cover the more delicate fruit trees.

Even the storm a couple of years ago was only horrible because our grid took a big kick in the nuts.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
Well it's -4 degrees here. And with the windchill, it’s around -30. So we are home for the weekend. Poor dog can’t figure out why he can’t go outside for more that two minutes. He LOVES walks and barking at squirrels
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
This was a whole lot of nothing for us in Texas, and there was nothing catastrophic in the forecast. It got really cold and windy with very light snow in northern parts of the state, but that's it. Now, February 2021...that was traumatizing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-23-2022, 11:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: This was a whole lot of nothing for us in Texas, and there was nothing catastrophic in the forecast. It got really cold and windy with very light snow in northern parts of the state, but that's it. Now, February 2021...that was traumatizing.

You are lucky.  In addition to the extreme cold, we have very high winds.  The highways have been closed in some parts because there are so many car accidents.   We had to cancel our holiday plans.  Hoping it clears up enough by Tuesday or Wednesday so we can try to go for a short visit with family before we all go back to work/school.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
In my neighborhood we got some wind and rain.  Then the temp dropped to about 5 degrees F for a few days.  The next week+ is supposed to be pretty nice, by New England standards.
Moved from CA to SC, and yikes, it is COLD here right now. It got down to 10º the last few nights, which we are not used to at all. Lots of well pumps freezing, leaving your faucets dripping to keep from freezing, we had a pool pipe burst, etc. But overall, not terrible. This is the first time though that our heat has come on overnight (you're not supposed to let it get below 60º in the house). Hoping it's back to normal soon, my dogs miss running with my husband! They run out, go to the bathroom, and then run back in immediately instead of cavorting with the squirrels in the backyard.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-24-2022, 07:54 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 11:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: This was a whole lot of nothing for us in Texas, and there was nothing catastrophic in the forecast. It got really cold and windy with very light snow in northern parts of the state, but that's it. Now, February 2021...that was traumatizing.

You are lucky.  In addition to the extreme cold, we have very high winds.  The highways have been closed in some parts because there are so many car accidents.   We had to cancel our holiday plans.  Hoping it clears up enough by Tuesday or Wednesday so we can try to go for a short visit with family before we all go back to work/school.

I heard about the 22-year-old woman in Buffalo who froze to death in her car after being stuck in the snow for 18 hours. Neither her family nor emergency services could get to her. She was driving home from work.

(12-27-2022, 10:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Moved from CA to SC, and yikes, it is COLD here right now.  It got down to 10º the last few nights, which we are not used to at all.  Lots of well pumps freezing, leaving your faucets dripping to keep from freezing, we had a pool pipe burst, etc.  But overall, not terrible.  This is the first time though that our heat has come on overnight (you're not supposed to let it get below 60º in the house).  Hoping it's back to normal soon, my dogs miss running with my husband!  They run out, go to the bathroom, and then run back in immediately instead of cavorting with the squirrels in the backyard.

Get your dogs coats. LOL. I'm not one to dress up my dog, but I bought her a water-resistant jacket, a couple of sweaters, and a coat because she's a short-haired dog. If it snows, put boots or paw balm on their paws. There are also recipes for homemade paw balm. 

In warmer climates, they don't bury plumbing deep, so pipes freeze easily. In addition to keeping the faucets dripping, I open the cabinets below sinks.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NPR Labeled "State-Affiliated" by Twitter LevelUP 6 790 04-10-2023, 11:34 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Easiest State to Become a Certified Teacher - Arizona??? sanantone 8 1,319 11-26-2022, 12:46 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Antarctic Theocratic State of San Giorgio Alpha 0 458 09-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Solar Storm Hits Tomorrow Alpha 1 394 08-02-2022, 11:35 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  US Expat Response to the State of America Kal Di 1 579 06-10-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Does Global name impact? NewatTESU 7 1,317 09-19-2021, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cal State Online Fall 2020 natshar 41 5,108 06-26-2020, 10:20 PM
  COVID-19 Updated Impact Tracker on U.S. Universities PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 0 1,255 05-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Cal State Fullerton Online Fall 2020 natshar 2 1,125 04-26-2020, 03:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  how attitudes impact our educational goals rvm 21 3,032 02-08-2019, 01:41 AM