Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$17 trillion - rise of 'learning poverty'
Ouch, that's how much they calculated or decided may have cost children their education...

"That's how much the pandemic could cost today's children in terms of lost earnings over a lifetime. The number comes from a new report by the United Nations and the World Bank."

Link: Global COVID school closures will cost trillions of dollars : Goats and Soda : NPR
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-17-2022, 06:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ouch, that's how much they calculated or decided may have cost children their education...
Much of this tragedy was happening before COVID. I'm not minimizing the tragic effects of COVID deaths, and their addition to the plight of surviving children, when I say that HALF the children of compulsory school age in India are not attending school. This was true long before COVID. Millions are busy on labour contracts - sold into them, usually out of dire necessity, by parents who can't feed them, yet, of course, don't want to see them starve. That's where your twelve-year-old jewel-cutting apprentice etc. gets his start. They're proud to send money home to their families. And naturally, arranged marriages at an early age are abhorrent to us, but mostly seen there as an expedient solution for the plight of impoverished (or sometimes not) girls.

Next door, in Pakistan, it's worse. You find nimble-fingered girls as young as nine, weaving rugs full-time. And boys scrubbing the completed rugs down by the river - to give them the desired "antique look" that Western merchants and their customers have come to expect. A few years ago, some large Western retailers were in bad odour for handling goods produced this way. Some claimed not to have known how things were done at source. I feel they should have. Know your customer - and your supplier.

COVID did two things. It killed a lot of people - and made many pre-existing problems worse. It didn't invent illiteracy - but it did tilt the odds further in its favour.
[-] The following 2 users Like Johann's post:
  • jsd, rachel83az
In the US, the reaction to Covid is what the problem is. The number of kids here who are suffering due to the closing of schools will be staggering as we learn more in the coming years.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oh, and covid causes brain damage. Young people are less likely to be affected, but they're not immune. I suspect that the average IQ in areas where kids are being forced back into school is going to drop for the next generation or so.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Johann, jsd
(01-18-2022, 12:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Oh, and covid causes brain damage. Young people are less likely to be affected, but they're not immune. I suspect that the average IQ in areas where kids are being forced back into school is going to drop for the next generation or so.
The average IQ of the adults who force the kids back to school in the face of drastically rising cases (e.g. Ontario Canada, where I live) doesn't seem very high, either - and isn't going up any time soon. They perpetuate and exacerbate the problems of COVID. Right now, needed surgeries are cancelled due to COVID cases filling hospitals - yet schools reopened yesterday. Some solution!
[-] The following 2 users Like Johann's post:
  • jsd, rachel83az
(01-18-2022, 07:39 PM)Johann Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 12:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Oh, and covid causes brain damage. Young people are less likely to be affected, but they're not immune. I suspect that the average IQ in areas where kids are being forced back into school is going to drop for the next generation or so.
The average IQ of the adults who force the kids back to school in the face of drastically rising cases (e.g. Ontario Canada, where I live) doesn't seem very high, either - and isn't going up any time soon. They perpetuate and exacerbate the problems of COVID. Right now, needed surgeries are cancelled due to COVID cases filling hospitals - yet schools reopened yesterday. Some solution!

As a parent with a school-aged child - I am OVER IT!  My kid cannot afford to miss more school, and does not learn with the ridiculous measures put into place for covid protocols.  He already had Covid, all of his friends have had it, schools aren't super-spreaders, and our kids cannot afford to miss this much school.  They learn absolutely zero on Zoom.  ZERO!

Now we are seeing an explosion of kids being harmed by masking policies.  Kids, especially very young ones, NEED to see faces to learn!  Any kid who's struggling with Autism, hearing issues, speech delays, all kinds of things like this - they are not learning what they need with masks over everyone's faces.

What we are doing, especially to very young children, is just a crime at this point!  We are actively harming our children due to fear, and children are not suffering from this disease.  We will look back at this someday and wonder what on earth we were thinking in doing this to kids.  Get them back into school and learning!!

Oh, and I won't even mention the number of teens I know who are suicidal. It numbers in the dozens. I know of zero teens who have gotten sick from Covid (lots who had/have it who got mildly sick), but the numbers of kids who are killing themselves due to the isolation from Covid policies is just sickening.

I also learned recently of a terrible abuse problem. This kid cries thinking of what will happen on the days he can't go to school if he's exposed to covid, even though he's already had it with no side effects. He's a big tough football player who knows that if he's not in school, his dad will be beating the crap out of him for shits and giggles. For many children, school is their safe space; sad but true. I wish it wasn't so, but I want those kids in school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/long-covid-in-kids
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01935-7

(01-19-2022, 05:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: What we are doing, especially to very young children, is just a crime at this point!  We are actively harming our children due to fear, and children are not suffering from this disease.  We will look back at this someday and wonder what on earth we were thinking in doing this to kids.  Get them back into school and learning!!

Really?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7927578/

Quote:Abstract
Almost half of children who contract covid-19 may have lasting symptoms, which should factor into decisions on reopening schools, reports Helen Thomson

A SERIOUS picture is emerging about the long-term health effects of covid-19 in some children, with UK politicians calling the lack of acknowledgment of the problem a “national scandal”.

Children seem to be fairly well-protected from the most severe symptoms of covid-19. According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the majority of children don't develop symptoms when infected with the coronavirus, or their symptoms are very mild.

However, it is becoming increasingly apparent that a large number of children with symptomatic and asymptomatic covid-19 are experiencing long-term effects, many months after the initial infection.
Children can catch up in their learning. They can't catch up from damaged hearts & brains.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jsd
I setup my kids for MyEyeLevel for tutoring two days a week (English/Math); because of COVID, that has stopped for the last two months. Online learning for them has been half/partially successful. My daughter is fairing well either way, but my son is not taking online learning seriously, when no one is watching him, he's watching Youtube videos in regards to MineCraft.

I'm just helping them learn by buying some premade workbooks for their appropriate grade level and having them complete the work. The public system works to a point, however they seem to be falling behind; in order to compensate their learning, I purchased a few grade 3/4 workbooks to have them do 5 pages a day (as the focus is on 5 subjects).

I am not looking to homeschool them as my wife and I don't have the time dedicated in a day to homeschool. So, we're looking for alternatives to complement their learning. During the breaks, we sign them up for learning camps/outdoor activities or for skating, swimming, whatever they're interested in. I'm looking forward to this pandemic ending soon...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 242 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,071 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,268 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 795 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 1,968 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 998 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Ways to Use ChatGPT for Language Learning? LevelUP 1 523 01-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information Rise in Tech Apprenticeships MNomadic 16 2,810 12-20-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Genius Group (Amazon of Lifelong Learning) bjcheung77 0 388 10-15-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Learning and Accreditation Alpha 0 466 10-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha